Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching 870's sell for their highest $$$$ ever due to all the panic buying. Riot models fetching 3x their MSRP and barrels on Ebay breaking same records.

I hope the new owner of Remington firearms gets them up & running in 2021?

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
It will be interesting to see what happens to prices in 2021. I just way over paid for a S&W Model 60-1, but it is a rare one and one of only 660 produced and most importantly I wanted it. Although I like the Model 870 it is not the only good pump shotgun out there.

Bob

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be interesting to see what happens to prices in 2021. I just way over paid for a S&W Model 60-1, but it is a rare one and one of only 660 produced and most importantly I wanted it. Although I like the Model 870 it is not the only good pump shotgun out there.

Bob
What other good pump ? You talking about Model 12's ???

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
Once you start talking about Over and Under's, you are not comparing apples to apples. I would go with a Model 3200 over a model 32 as long as all the Recall Items had been taken care of. "F" Grade certainly would put it out of comparison to a model 870.

With regard to not selling the rights, Remington did not sell them as exclusive rights and continued to produce the 3200 while Kreighoff started making their version of the 32 as the K-32 and them upgrading it to the K-80. I doubt that Remington would ever have elevated the model 32 or 3200 to the level of the K guns. For years I shot registered Skeet with a 3200 4 barrel set, then moved to a San Remo Grade K-32 and now shoot a K-80 Pro Skeet.

Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Once you start talking about Over and Under's, you are not comparing apples to apples. I would go with a Model 3200 over a model 32 as long as all the Recall Items had been taken care of. "F" Grade certainly would put it out of comparison to a model 870.

With regard to not selling the rights, Remington did not sell them as exclusive rights and continued to produce the 3200 while Kreighoff started making their version of the 32 as the K-32 and them upgrading it to the K-80. I doubt that Remington would ever have elevated the model 32 or 3200 to the level of the K guns. For years I shot registered Skeet with a 3200 4 barrel set, then moved to a San Remo Grade K-32 and now shoot a K-80 Pro Skeet.

Bob
You definitely shoot some nice guns, Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
Nice Wood!

Most trap shooters I have met are not fans of any shotgun that throws the empties out the side. At least with a pump for singles, there is no problem, but I know that 1100s are sometimes looked down on unless they have a shell catcher installed. The Model 37 as well as the Browning BPS eliminates that issue.

Bob

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can remember the late 1950s and early 1960s and the feeling of the older guys I hung around was that a Winchester model 12 was worth at least 2 Remington 870s if not more. I bought my 870 in 1962 and was so happy with it I haven't even considering buying another pump shotgun.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can remember the late 1950s and early 1960s and the feeling of the older guys I hung around was that a Winchester model 12 was worth at least 2 Remington 870s if not more. I bought my 870 in 1962 and was so happy with it I haven't even considering buying another pump shotgun.
The trend has changed; you can't give away a Model 12 these days, not even Trap or Skeet guns, while 870's remain "hot" pump of choice. The days when gun dealers loved to see a model 12 come in the door are long gone, dealers telling sellers the gun will be here a while. I think its a generational gap, the WWII guys are gone, Korean war vets in their 80'd now the early Nam guys are slowly giving it up too. The Generation X and above shooters don't a thing about the American Classics why prices are dropping.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Bob
I had good feeling you were a K-80 shooter; I shot NSSA for 12 years, don't miss it; I shot @ a gun club well known for its shooters and classic shotguns. I fell in the rut too, wasn't a gun show I didn't like, we shot SXS & pump gun shoots in the off season. I shared with a string of collectors in the loop, when the housing market started its spiral it was time to unload the collections and was happy I did as year later collectors were crying the blues. It wasn't all about the money I really enjoyed shooting the classics. years ago they didn't last long finding a new home now dealers hold onto them for months if not years.

Some of the men @ our gun club were part of the Parker Gun Association who spent a week Xerox the Parker Bound books in the basement @ Ilion. I hope the original books have been secured since the sale of Remington, their priceless.

We were in a heavy Beretta area, Beretta was in MD, a shooter @ our Club was manager of Beretta Gallery so that allowed us special orders and hooked with Beretta gunsmith that worked from home so had many guns built to order with extra wood and barrels. While I had shot 3200's in the past was not able to shoot K guns well, loved blue Super Scroll's with target latch.

Remind me one day tell you the story about a K-80 factory 5 barrel set, a rare special order K 80 from Robert Peterson collection.

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
I like all the shotgun sports, but focus on Skeet. I shoot with a group that will text in the morning, "Its .410 Pump Day" or "16 Gauge Semi-Auto Day" or even "Pistol day". So the gun room gets opened and out comes the appropriate tool to meet the call and the hat to go with it. Our group has a loose policy, that if you are shooting a XXX you need a XXX hat on. My gun room closet is filled with a lot of hats! My K-80 is a barrel set and also has a carrier barrel and tubes, so it takes up two gun cases. But some days I will shoot my Beretta 4 Barrel set or my Caesaer Guerini set or my SKB set. No longer have a 3200 set of a Browning set.

So, there are pumps, semi-autos, O/U and in some cases Lever shotguns in all gauges. On the days that we shoot pistol, it is Thompson Contenders with 41 Long Colt Vent Rib / Choked Barrels on them. It is a hoot but singles only.

Bob

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your Beretta 4 barrel set, is it a 682, 687 EELL or ASE as don't remember 4 barrel set in S0 line? I have several 682's, my original 682, its has over 175K down the barrels and never been tuned up yet. The sub gauge adds more weight than I like these days so added a 30" 20 ga sporting barrel on the 12 ga frame, its sweet. Beretta no longer offers those barrels, they produced them in 20 & 28 ga 30" tubes and 28 ga & 410 for the baby frames.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts