Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just grabbed a NIB 700 SPS DM .243 from my LGS, just came in from a distributor closing out old stock, my LGS had three come in. The barrel dates the rifle to 2010, the serial number is not the etched style, no RR, it's Dxxxxxxx.

·
Super Moderator
460 Posts
If you’ve been on Long Range Hunting you may have seen a discussion on this. I can tell you I have two 700 with 2009 and 2012 barrels with G seriel numbers. I think the D puts your receiver in the mid 1990’s. Can you post a picture of your barrel code?

·
Super Moderator
460 Posts
I doubt thats the case. I suspect that it’s an error in the interpretation of the codes on the barrel. The receiver bears a serial number that is required by the 1968 Gun Control Act. Begining in Nov. 1968 Remington added a alpha character to the Serial. Any 700 action manufactured prior to that did nothave the alpha prefix. They begain with A and went through to G. Somewhere after 2012 and 2014 the RR designation appears. The date code on the barrel is the month and year the rifle was assembled.

This is speculation on my part, but I suspect the switch to the Double Alpha prefix is related to the Marlin acquisition and possibly the crossbreeding of the X7 and the 783.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double checked the barrel code, it dates 2010 for sure, had my local gunsmith check it to, also picked up a NIB Model Seven this week from another LGS here in northern New York, dates to 2017, a G serial #, again not the etched RR type number......My BDL has a 2016 barrel code and has the RR etched and etched number, my BIL has family member who had worked at Ilion, I'll try and see if he can shed some light on this. Been a Remington 700 shooter/hunter since '66.

·
Super Moderator
460 Posts
Longislandloco,
Please post any info you are able to uncover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts