Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is consenus on this gun? I bought one in 223 and have not shot it much. I am new to this forum and would like info and loads for this rifle.
Thanks in advance
roc1

·
Registered
795 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

From what I've seen commented on this forum and other sites... it seems that this gun either shoots or it doesn't. Obviously handloads will allow you to get the most accuracy out any gun.

I would suspect that since you have a .223 you will have a greater chance of it shooting well since the barrel will have more metal than a .308 and will be a littler stiffer as result.

Are you currently into reloading for any other guns you have? If so, you may want to look at the hornady v-max bullets - I've had the best results with v-max in my AR-15. I just couldn't get any other brand to group tight enough compared to the v-max. Sierra's came in a close second to the Hornady's.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have had great success with the Hornady SP 55gr 50 round pack. Sub MOA out of my Remington R-15.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies. I do reload and I use Hornady VMax all the time in my 22-250. I use Hornady and Sierra in other rifles I load.This VTR has only shot American Eagle FMJ . Not to impressive i hope others or handloads will do a lot better. All other Remingtons I have owned or shot usually do well. Hope I can get this one too.
roc1

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have a VTR in 223 and it really likes Blackhills 69gr SMK's, shoots 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. If yours is anything like mine was new, it took about 250 rounds for it to settle down and give sub moa groups regularly. You could also try the federal value pack at wally world, they also shoot good but your results may vary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was looking at the VTR A-TACS model in .308. I really like the gun. It feels good and it looks cool.The barrel is my concern. Seems like they shave a lot off to get that shape. But I read an article in a magazine (review) about the gun in .308, it did well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
roc1 said:
Thanks for replies. I do reload and I use Hornady VMax all the time in my 22-250. I use Hornady and Sierra in other rifles I load.This VTR has only shot American Eagle FMJ . Not to impressive i hope others or handloads will do a lot better. All other Remingtons I have owned or shot usually do well. Hope I can get this one too.
roc1

Start reloading! You'll enjoy it and it will allow you to get the most out of that rifle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a VTR in 308 with the ATACS stock. So far I've only had it out once, and it shot really well until the scope rings broke! Since then I have replaced the rings with some better quality ones and am waiting for a break in the weather to go back out. When I get out and shoot again I'll post another update!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you already reload, my VTR likes Nosler Ballistic Tips (55 gr.) and AA2230 powder.
Federal brass and CCI primers. I seat .015 off the lands (or as long as I can and still fit the mag)

V-Max bullets should work well, too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts