Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow am I lost! Having been a tactical operator for nearly 10 years, I most recently got assigned to a sniper team and will be attending school at the FBI academy here in the next month. What a new world this will be!

As I've always been a bit paranoid about department assigned equipment knowing how most LE (myself sometimes included) treat department equipment, so i'm wanting to buy my own rifle without completely breaking the bank.

From my research, i'm going to purchase a Rem 700, but am VERY confused about the different models and need some help here! Pricewise, I've noticed a substantial differences between the SPS Tactical and the Police model. Also, is their a difference in the SPS versus the SPS tactical? I'm thinking that the SPS tactical will be good for what I need, but am curious as to what the "police" model differs by. Any sites/suggestions that offer good LE prices? With the SPS Tactical, it's looking like I will be spending around 600.00 or so.....

Base and Rings I have little info or knowledge on, but i've gotten a few suggestions in this area.

It's been suggested to change out the Rem 700 stock, but again, more $$$. Is this really necessary?

The scope is where i'm expecting to drop more cash. I've read this forum quite a bit and it seems like a lot of people go with the Leupold MK-4. In looking for Mk-4 scope info, I was lost again at all the different models and dont even know where to start here. I've seen info about Millett thrown around on this site a lot as well but again, where to start as they've got so many different models and options...

Definetly buying the Harris Bi-pod from all your suggestions...

Any suggestions and help would be REALLY appreciated. Budget wise, i'd like to keep this around 1200-1500, but have a bit of flex if need be...

-Elliot

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The regular SPS rifle is a standard hunting rifle.
The SPS Tac are the 20 Inch bull barreled rifles.

Here is a real nice deal on the 700P model http://www.impactguns.com/remington-700-police-308-5709-047700257099.aspx

You will not beat this price by the time you are done is a SPS Tac rifle. That is after you buy the new stock which I will tell you that its a must. I dont know many shooters at all that use the standard stock that came with the SPS Tac. Everyone upgrades.

After what I have done to mine I don't know if I will buy another SPS Tac I will either get a custom or by a police model or something of higher grade.

You have to look that you get the rifle for about 600 + or - then the new stock is another 200-300 bucks. That puts you in the ball park of 800-900 dollars.

Scope and Rings:

I personally use the SWFA 5-20 on my 300 Win Mag and a Hawke 4-14 on my .308. I will be getting a Weaver Tactical 3-15 for my .308. The scope is built really well from what I can tell by messing with it at a local shop. The scope is 3-15x50 Mil/Mil adjustment, FFP and has a glass etched EMDR (Enhanced Mil Dot Reticle) which is really nice. And you can not beat it for the $$$ they run about $750.

Rings I use steel TPS Low 30MM rings. To me they seem like any high grade scope rings and real meaty. So far with how much I have shot through both of the rifles that I have them on seem to do what they are meant to do :D As for base I have the steel TPS 20MOA base. I had an EGW 20MOA base that I got ride of on my .308 and replaced it with a TPS Base so now I run TPS on all my rifles and there dead on great for the quality and money.

Hope this will get you started in a direction for your build :D and Welcome to 700rifle. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
roseboys3 said:
Wow am I lost! Having been a tactical operator for nearly 10 years, I most recently got assigned to a sniper team and will be attending school at the FBI academy here in the next month. What a new world this will be!

As I've always been a bit paranoid about department assigned equipment knowing how most LE (myself sometimes included) treat department equipment, so i'm wanting to buy my own rifle without completely breaking the bank.

From my research, i'm going to purchase a Rem 700, but am VERY confused about the different models and need some help here! Pricewise, I've noticed a substantial differences between the SPS Tactical and the Police model. Also, is their a difference in the SPS versus the SPS tactical? I'm thinking that the SPS tactical will be good for what I need, but am curious as to what the "police" model differs by. Any sites/suggestions that offer good LE prices? With the SPS Tactical, it's looking like I will be spending around 600.00 or so.....

Base and Rings I have little info or knowledge on, but i've gotten a few suggestions in this area.

It's been suggested to change out the Rem 700 stock, but again, more $$$. Is this really necessary?

The scope is where i'm expecting to drop more cash. I've read this forum quite a bit and it seems like a lot of people go with the Leupold MK-4. In looking for Mk-4 scope info, I was lost again at all the different models and dont even know where to start here. I've seen info about Millett thrown around on this site a lot as well but again, where to start as they've got so many different models and options...

Definetly buying the Harris Bi-pod from all your suggestions...

Any suggestions and help would be REALLY appreciated. Budget wise, i'd like to keep this around 1200-1500, but have a bit of flex if need be...

-Elliot

Elliot,

You might want to just bite the bullet and purchase the 700P or LTR.

You might have issues with using a modified rifle at Quantico and with your Dept. You might want to check on that first.

Good luck with the class.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i think there's some other variables you need to consider before choosing your rifle/scope.

what ranges are you going to be shooting? i think i've read that most LE sniper shots are 100 yards or less. therefore, you dont need a $1000 20 power leupold scope with 50 MOA of adjustment in any direction. it's too overkill.

is weight/length going to be a problem? are you gonna need to get this thing in/out of a squad car quickly, or are you gonna be taking you time, removing the gun from a case and setting up for a shot? i can tell you, i use my 700p for deer hunting and it can be tricky to get that thing in a tree stand or a tripod sometimes.

having said that, i'd go with the 700P if i were you.
the HS precesion stock is good, solid stock. all i'd do to it is glass bed the action and you'll be good to go. glass bedding can be done 4-5 hours (prep, drying time, etc.) just read the directions and you'll be fine.

the rifle has a 26" barrel and you can always have it cut down later if you want. a company called Tac Ops does (or used to) a 700P tune up for around $1500 that could also be an option. they take a great out of the box rifle and make it a great shooting rifle. i want to do this down the road to my 700p.

BASES/RINGS:

nightforce, leupold (the tactical stuff), badger ordinance, even burris makes great stuff. you dont wanna skimp here. you can have the most expensive rifle in the world and $3,000 scope and if you cant keep everything tightened together, you'll never hold your zero and just have problems.

SCOPE:

you cant go wrong with a leupold tactical scope. anyone that is into long range shooting has one or has had one. they're expensive though. you can also look into the super sniper line of scopes. i've read articles about guys using them in iraq and afghanistan and if they trust them, i dont see why you or i couldnt. they have several models available and i've never heard anything bad about them.

as far as the bipod, i'd get the shortest one possible(6"-9"). i'm 6-5 and i could never get into a comfortable prone position with my (9"-13') bipod. dont skimp here either. the winchester bipods are cheap copies and are nothing but trouble. i used to have one on my .22 that would eventually work itself loose, i cant imagine what would happen on a .308.

i know i'm kinda late to this post and you have already gotten everything, but just in case you havent. i guess i should throw in there that i'm just an amateur, self taught, long range shooter. everything i've learned was through experience and reading, lots and lots of reading.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wise Agent has an interface that is easier to use and a little faster to accomplish tasks. It does most of the same things as Top Producer. However, it does not have the ability to mail printed material to a contact automatically on a scheduled delivery. This is one area where Top Producer is very useful. You can set up a campaign once and have it automatically send emails to your contacts, mail printed material, and remind you to call them.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not sure what sojol123 is talking about, but... Bottom line for LE stuff: get whatever you will be using in training and in the field. If you will be using a 700P, then buy that to practice with. If you're using an LTR, then buy that to practice with. The SPS has a trigger that many people don't like and it would suck to go to the FBI's sniper school with a trigger that was totally different than the one you've been practicing with. Just shoot an email to your department's rangemaster and ask him exactlly what you will be issued and what you need to train with. Even though it will hurt the wallet, do the same with your scope and rings. You don't need to put a bunch of range time behind one personally owned gun but have a totally seperate gun for call outs, etc. 762's right on the bipod. Harris. Short as possible. Mine is a hair to long and I'm wishing I got the 6 inch.

All that being said, I suspect that you're in the same boat that I was when I bought my own stuff for an operational LE sniper rifle. I went with the SPS for price and it's treated me perfect and then some. Shop around for the best prices on stuff. Get good high strength rings like Leupold MK4's or Burris XTR's and spend some good money on your glass. Get hooked up on some forums like this one and others and find a used Leupold MK4 or maybe a Nightforce.

Either way, good luck and keep us posted after the FBI's course.

·
Registered
277 Posts
PALADIN said:
Bottom line for LE stuff: get whatever you will be using in training and in the field. If you will be using a 700P, then buy that to practice with. If you're using an LTR, then buy that to practice with.

Very True. I absolutely believe in this! I use this same reasoning to guide my weapon decisions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update, I did quite a bit of research and went with the 700P LTR .308. Got a GREAT deal on a TWS package through a local department that was buying 12 of them. After pricing things out separately, I couldn't beat the price! Havent had a chance to shoot it, but it looks great. Burris Base and Rings, Harris Bi-pod, Leupold MK4 3.5-10 x 40mm with a mil-dot reticle, but I realized just recently that I need to send it back into Leupold to have it illuminated, as it's not..... Surprisingly they have a custom shop that will do this for 300 bucks, which seems like a good price!

Can't wait to break this thing out in the next few weeks-

·
Registered
409 Posts
How can they add illumination, I wonder? That would require a totally seperate tube I believe. Either way, if you can get it for $300, that would be nice.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i was wondering that too. i was thinking maybe they were just gonna take the old one back and send him a scope with an illuminated reticle.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Need pictures, roseboy... You did good with the LTR. Very good choice. But still need some pictures. :D :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts