Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted in my intro thread, I purchased a .308 SPS Varmint with the intent of replacing the stock with a custom target thumbhole stock from Richards Microfit. This is destined to be a target rifle, so weight is not an issue.

The stock comes unfinished, and I need to do the final inletting/bedding and surface finish. Mine was ordered with a far more aggressive and colorful laminate than what is pictured, because I like to be the guy with the odd gun at the range.

My questions are:

1)Is there a better/worse choice for pillar beds? I have seen both flat top, and curved top (allowing the action to rest in the curve). Is there a general preference toward one or the other? Right now I am looking at these from Brownells:

2) When it comes to bedding, there are conflicting opinions on bedding the action AND the first few inches of the barrel. I had always understood that a completely floated barrel was best. Is this not correct?

3) Cryo tempering a barrel. Opinions? The guys on the Mini-forums swear by it. Not that it makes them more accurate, but that it eliminates POI walking as the barrel heats up (a typical problem with older pencil barrel 1xx series mini-14s). I know the cryo process itself works incredibly well on other things (like Brake rotors on cars). It would seem these advantages would be good for a rifle barrel also.

http://www.300below.com/firearms-cryo-barrel/

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't think it really matters which style pillars you use. Their purpose is to keep from crushing the stock and both do the job if properly installed.

With lighter barrels, you can get away with just glassing the action but a heavy barrel hanging off the action threads will put some stress on the action and cause a POI shift at different temps. Bedding the first 2-3 inches of the barrel won't hurt a light barrel and sure helps a heavy.

I'd love to hear how your stock comes out. I haven't used one of their stocks in years and just looked around their site.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They charged my credit card on friday, so hopefully I will see my stock soon. It will take a while to get it all prepped, but I can't wait to see it!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
i always worry when getting a nice stock. i treat it like a safe queen regardless how much i shoot them. thankfully i only have one rifle with a wood stock i refinished myself.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Post some pics when you get it. I'd like to see what it looks like. I've heard some stories lately about them being pretty rough but I don't know if it's the owners not realizing what they ordered or if they have gone down hill. I used a couple of them years ago and really liked them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was probably the owners having high expectations. My friend has a Blue/Gray laminate Wildcat on his 30-06, took him a while to complete the inletting and finish the outside, but it looks awesome. It far smoother than the Fajen I received for my 10/22, which still had high spots from the milling machine. :/

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stock is here, and it is nice. As expected it will need some fitment work, but I like it. It'll look pink/gray until I get some finish on the wood, which will darken it down to what it should be.

The actual finished laminate:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Have to pay my taxes this week but as soon as that's done I have to pick one of those up. I like the laminated rosewood. My last one came out beautiful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im using ( or will use) the adjustable curved top ones from Brownells

Im also using Devcon

Whether you bed JUST the first couple of inches or not isnt going to matter doodlie squat difference.

Oh yeah...the Cyro thingy. My wife is a metallurgist and I had to ask her about 6 times to get a good understanding of what that actual does or cna do to the metal. Bottom line...for a gun barrel it isnt going to matter jack squat one way of the other.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do not have any personal experience in cyro treating barrels, so what I've learned is only second hand info. But what I've read from custom barrel manufactors in general, and some of them have degrees in metallurgy, they claim that it does not do anything for the barrel. Their claims are that it's basically a sales gimmick. I'm sure I will ruffle the feathers of some posters for saying this, but I am only the messenger. Like I said, I've no personal experience on the matter. I read that they claim the cyro treating process introduces stresses into the metal. I do know that any introduced stresses are bad. This is a reason why I never use fluted barrels. The touting process also introduces stresses into the metal, and does nothing for accuracy, as claimed. Again, probably ruffling feathers. A good rule of thumb when looking at things like this to do to your rifle, is to see what the professional benchrest shooters are using. The do not cyro treat their barrels or flute them. If there business is accuracy, then what are the doing to obtain it??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts