Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am just starting out hunting and went with a 700 sps stainless in 308. I have just decided and purchased a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 scope with Leupold medium DD rings and 2 piece base. My question is after getting the scope mounted at the place I bought it I tried to open the bolt and it hits the scope lens cover. The bolt completely clears the scope with the cover removed and the front of the scope has more than enough room. My question is should I try and shim the back mount or have someone else look at how it was installed? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Go to the next taller rings or nix the cap. :/

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sometimes you can file down the scope cover just enough to let the bolt clear it. Do not shim the mount at all, not just for a scope cover. IMHO!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had this problem with my rifle. A lot depends on how much clearance there is between the handle and the scope. I was able to slip the rear lens cover over a socket so that it could be held easily and thinned it with a bench grinder. Go easy or you might have to tape the cover on the scope!

·
Registered
120 Posts
quaid said:
I had this problem with my rifle. A lot depends on how much clearance there is between the handle and the scope. I was able to slip the rear lens cover over a socket so that it could be held easily and thinned it with a bench grinder. Go easy or you might have to tape the cover on the scope!
if it was that close I would use the next height ring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts