Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first remington 700. It's an sps 7mm mag with blued barrel. I took it deer hunting this weekend and the first day was slightly misty. I got back in camp, wiped down the barrel quickly with a napkin, put it in the case and stored it for the night...by the morning there was rust on the barrel and bolt. The scope mounts, screws and scope were completely free of rust. Is it wrong to think it's okay to let my gun sit one night without rusting? Or did I do something wrong? I'm hoping it's a manufacturer defect. If not what can I do to clean the existing rust (Take the action out to clean underneath, materiels to use, etc) and to keep it from happening again. I have never had another gun rust before and it is somewhat unnerving to have this happen to a brand new gun. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
First off welcome to the forum :D

Second :)

The best thing to do when you walk in the rain or wet weather you might want to buy the Remington gun oil wipes that are a mans best thing :D I use it on all my rifles that I use and its wet weather. As for why there is no rust on the mounts and stuff is that they might be aluminum.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What kind of case are we talking about? Many cases will promote rust. Best to leave it uncased after a walk in the woods. Up here in the winter I don't put much oil on my rifles because it gums up in the cold and I leave them outside to avoid them sweating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I got all the rust off with no problem and checked into those gun oil wipes.:D Thanks for the advice and pointers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts