Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dies have some minor rust on them from sitting in the garage over the winter. Is there an easy way to remove this so I can make them look new again?

I keep all my dies in there little plastic cases, but they aren't fully sealed so I assume some moisture is able to get to them and then begin the rusting process. I suppose I could spray them with some light oil to help in the future or do I need to store them in an airtight container?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You can use some steelwool and wd-40. And yes if you keep some light oil on them the rust should stay away.

·
Registered
403 Posts
000 steel wool will work on the smooth areas, but you can use a small stainless steel brush like ones you can buy at Harbor Freight to clean the knurled parts. After cleaning with steel wool and brush thorougly degrease and clean the dies inside and out and apply a coating of lubricant of your choice ( I prefer CLP ) and wipe off excess. For stubborn rust deposits you could use some Navel Jelly. just dont get it inside the die and thorougly rinse, dry and lubricate the die after. If you have room in your gun safe you could store the dies there because if you have a dissicant pack or gun saver dryer it will keep the rust away.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't thought of the steel wool.... I'll give that a shot. It's just a light "dusting" of rust on a few of my older dies... but it doesn't make them look very good!

Interestingly enough, the ones that I've been using synthetic motor oil as a lubricant (yes it works very well even for rifle cases) don't have any rust. It's the ones where I've used that old Lee wax lubricant, which I think is water based that have the rust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts