Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this might be an odd one but ive got a gun case with 6 rifles in i have 2 Rem 700's both in .308 but one of them keeps getting rust on the inside of the barrel. All my other rifles are fine its only the one that I'm having this problem with. Anyone have clue as to why this may be happening to just this one rifle?. It gets cleaned after ive used it like all my rifles do and i run a oiled patch through then put away. Im at a loss with this one the only thing i can think off is that there is some problem with the barrel as when i got it from the shop new i did check down the barrel and notice what i thought at the time was small spots of rust. Which i did tell the shop about and was told the clean run it in and see. It was fine for my first year had no problem with it it even sat in the case unused for 4 months over the winter with no problem now its getting rusty in just a few weeks if i don't shoot it.

cheers Alun

· Administrator
726 Posts
There is rust and there is corrosion. What we call rust is a surface oxidation that leaves an overall red oxide coating on the surfaces of the barrel. This type of corrosion is what is typically arrested by coating the barrel after cleaning with oil or CLP products. There is another form of corrosion referred to as pitting corrosion that occurs when foreign material like salts get in the barrel and end up causing pits which will continue to corrode until the material is removed, which is usually impossible to do. The material ends up in the deep pits and resides under the corrosion. I would be suspicious that at some point this barrel got wet and wasn't cleaned immediately. There isn't much you can do to stop this beyond what you are doing. Clean the rifle well (brush the bore well) and more frequently and oiling it are about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts