Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i just joined the forum and i just purchased my first 700. It is the varmint edition in .223. It has the stock Remington scope on it right now. My question is for help choosing my new scope. I want one in the $100 or cheaper range for target shooting and coyote hunting. All input is appreciated thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
100 or cheaper your best bet is walmart's center point scopes. They aren't too bad for the price.

If your able to go a little higher 150.00 you can get a redfield revolution which would be better glass and better scope.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Primary Arms has a 3-9x40 scope for $80.. You probably won't find a review for it (maybe on AR15.com) but the reason I list it is Marshall is a great guy to deal with, and I know if you have any problem with it he'll take it back with no problem.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_39x40_Scope_p/pa39x.htm

Other than that, come deer\coyote season I put a Millet Buck Gold 3-9x40 on my 700. You can pick one up for about the same price, $80.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?...oGroup=0&brand=SN&prodID=MIBK00705&prodTitle=

The Centerpoint 3-9x40 and 4-16x40 scopes at WalMart are pretty decent too. I know there's been a couple problems people had with them (every brand has it's problems). I was actually trying to pick one up today so I could write (at least for myself) an unbiased review on them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess i would call myself a rookie on scopes and guns. I have been thinking that the higher the magnification the better the scope will be and more accurate they will be. So does that really matter?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Depends on what/how your shooting. The higher the magnification the more the scope will dance with your breathing and movement. Alot of guys shoot on mid range powers and then zoom in to check on the hit. I shoot Max zoom almost all the time, my eyes aren't what they used to be just a few years ago. I just posted this in another thread but it's true. Aim small, miss small.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basically what i am saying is that i am getting this rifle from a guy who said he was shooting quarters at 200yds and i am wondering what scope it would take to come close to that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You could do that with a red dot if you had the skill. (not doubting your shooting ability, just making a statement)

Honestly, I'd try out one of the Centerpoints from WalMart. Worst comes to worst if it doesn't do what you want, take it back and get a refund. As long as you have a decent base (be it a picatinny style base, or some sort of other mounting method) and decent rings, most scopes these days can hold a zero on at a .223.

You won't need a $1700 Leupold Mk4 LR/T or a $2500+ US Optics to be able to print small groups. I have no problem putting three rounds through the same hole at 100yds, and groups half the size of a quarter at 200yds with my $80 Millet mounted on my 700.

My comment about the red dot comes from the fact that I did mount my AIMpoint to my 700 and shot a <1moa group at 100yds. Keep in mind, it's a 4moa dot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just dont want to buy a $100 scope and 6 months later be like shit i should of bought a nicer Leupold or a Nikon.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I guarantee you will regret it.. And if you buy a nice lupy or something 6 months later you will feel the same. But the lesser of the two evils would be buying a better scope

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i mean i dont need to be hitting quarters for 900 yards i just want this .223 to be a tack driver at 200-300 yards. I mean 1000 yards would be badass but i dont intent on buying a 3000 dollar scope. Another question is what type of rings would i need and do they make a difference on what ones i buy

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
There are several scopes in the 150-400 range that would be a perfect fit for what your looking for. Konus, a lower model zeiss, redfield, and the list goes on.

If you buy a 3k scope and use cheap rings your scope will never be able to do it's job. Rings are what keep it all lined up properly. Good rings are a must. There are some good cheap ones
Burris extreme tacticals are about 30-40
Warne tactical are about 40-100
Then you have the more expensive leupold mark4s.

If your interested in the mark4s I have a pair for sale that i used twice at the range but I upgraded to a bigger scope (30mm) and the 1inch rings didn't fit

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still dont know what scope i even want yet and those scope rings look kinda out of my price range how much where you thinking?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well as of now i have decided on the scope choice. I am either going to get the
Redfield Revolution 3-9x50mm or the 3-9x40 not sure which on also What scope rings would go you guys recommend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
porter24 said:
Well as of now i have decided on the scope choice. I am either going to get the
Redfield Revolution 3-9x50mm or the 3-9x40 not sure which on also What scope rings would go you guys recommend.
I have the Redfield Revolutions in 3-9x40 on my bolt gun (Rem 700 in 308win) and one in 2-7x33 on a Marlin 444 (my pig gun) and have been very happy with them. They are almost (not quite but close) as good as my Leupold VX-1 (on a another bolt gun). For the price they are hard to beat.

Marcccc

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a 700 sps varmint in .243. I have a cheap bushnell varmint scope with adjustable objective lense that helps determine distances. Brand new it is $139. Is it the best - NO. Is it the best for the money - from what I've found, it very well may be. The magnification is 6x18 and has a 50mm or 55mm objective lense, lets in plenty of light and has been very accurate for me. And as Marccc said redfield - I like them too. Have a redfield 4x12 with the accu-range reticle on a .300 win mag and after about 100 rounds it still holds zero on a shoulder smacker. Redfields are made by leupold in their oregon plant, good glass and great warranty. My redfield was $219. Personally i think its better than the vx-1 line of leupold and comparable to the vx-2. Its not tactical but a hunting scope. I really like the accu-range reticle and the glass gives crisp bright images. And as jasonbourne said - a good scope is nothing without a good mount! With either scope, i can keep all rounds inside a quarter at 100 yrds. as long as i do my part as the shooter. I have warne and weaver rings (not very expensive) and haven't had a problem. It depends on you, what you want and what pupose you are using it for. Are you punching paper or flesh?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
You might want to Check out: http://www.opticsplanet.net/riflescopes-by-price-3.html
They have Lots of Good Scopes Under $200 on this page. Just stay Away from Barska, Leapers, NCStar & other such Made in China Off Brands (Shabby Construction & Crappy Glass) & go with a Scope from Burris, Bushnell, Konus, Nikon, Redfield, Weaver or Vortex (Excellent Quality & Glass).
IMHO For the $$$ either of these would be an Excellent Choice: http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-riflescopes-dbk-m-01p.html or http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-riflescopes-dbk-m-04p.html
Both are Cheaper than the Redfields online Pricing. Check around though, I got my Redfield 3-9X50AR for $159 ;)
UncleSarge58

1 - 17 of 17 Posts