Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am stuck in choosing my scope for my new 700. It either i get a redfield revolution 3-9x50 or a Nikon prostaff 4-12x40. There is about a $75 difference between the two. Please let me know what you guys think and how much different they are

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with the Redfield.. definitely a good quality scope for that price range.

On a side note, where do you find them with a $75 price difference? I found both of them for $150 on the low end online, with both of them also being $199 on the high end.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the guy I'm getting my 700 from said he would add the prostaff for $100 more. And the redfield is around $180 on eBay new. Also I was looking at the millet bk81001 tactical on eBay the millet seems way better from reviews

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you're going to spring $300 for the Millet TRS-1, why not also look at the Konus M30?

And hell, while you're in the $300 range, look at the SWFA SS scopes. The SuperSniper 10x is $299. If you're a member on Sniper's Hide, there's a group buy that includes mounts, flip up caps, and sunshade (extra $50) for the $299 of the scope.

Of course, the SuperSniper is a fixed 10x scope, but they are very nice scopes for the money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been looking on ebay at the millet trs and they have some used ones going for under $200 and with a lifetime warranty i don't see why not go for that. Some even have scope rings on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Millett LRS 6-25-56 for my 700 sps .30-06. What are your thoughts on scope mounts. Alluminum or steel, picatinay or two piece?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I say go with the steel. The only advantage, that I know of at least, of aluminum is the weight. And the chances that you'll be able to notice the ounces of difference in weight are pretty slim. Unless you're dragging your stick through miles of bush or humping hills in the 'stan or something where weight is of the utmost importance...
Steel is stronger, and it's easier to manufacture with a higher level of precision than aluminum. At least that's what the gentlemen in the machine shop tell me.

I went with a one-piece solid base for the added rigidity and limited flex that would be applied to the scope tube. On the other hand, I've heard that having the two-piece base can help eliminate the chances of the ejected casing falling back into the chamber as you cycle the action. I read a post on a forum that said that the empties kept bouncing off the bottom of the scope base and falling back into the path of the bolt. It said that with the base removed and a two-piece installed, the space between the action and the bottom of the scope was just enough clearance for the casing to fly-away freely. That's never happened to me, so I wasn't too concerned about it when I bought my base, but I guess it's something to think about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts