Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would open this thread stating that out to 356 yards what I have shot so far I'm still at 10x with no problem at all and taking out Rock Star cans at this distance on every shot :D

I would say that scopes with powers up to 16 will do anyone perfect out to 1000.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have 6.5-20 Leupolds on a couple of my long range rifles and my buddy uses the 4-14 Leupold. He makes as many long shots as I do. This year we will be looking to best our 925 yard shot on a prairie dog. He did the trigger pulling but without my excellent spotter abilities, he never would have made it,:)

Before I bought the 6.5-20 scopes I used a 4-12 Redfield and a K10 Weaver.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main reason for my statement is because of what the marines used for the longest time until the S&B variable power scope it was the Unertil 10x scopes that did fine. But I guess if you can have more why not right ? :p ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
im hoping 14 will do the trick for my ventures to hit 800+ yards (really i meant 1000 but 800 sounds more believable).

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've shot well beyond 1000 meters with a Leupold Mk 4 3.5x10x44mm and it gets the job done. What actually prompted me to upgrade my optic was not being able to see my hits on paper at ranges 300 meters +. This was very frustrating during tactical precision matches!

I now run a Nightforce 3.5x15x50mm MOA/MOA (NP-R2 reticle) my biggest advice to someone looking to upgrade is get a scope with matching reticle subtensions and turret click adjustments.

ie. MOA/MOA, Mil/Mil

·
Registered
51 Posts
the reason behind the marine corps 10x unertl was that it was not a front focal plain reticle and a fixed power was used to keep the mildot reticle true in the calculations for range to target and so on. during my time in the marine corps we went out to ranges up to 1,200 yards with the unertl scopes and they worked great and were very rugged and well built , i would love to own one nowdays but i dont want to part with 3-4 grand to get one. another thing you guys nbeed to remember is that although marine scout snipers are some of the best marksman in the world imo you have to understand we are trained to make a hit on target with the first shot every single time being the goal as well as fast target aquisition and a first round kill not to get a group the size of a dime but to quater our target and put a round out there and dispatch the target and move to the next and for ranges up to what i ahve described a 10x scope works great. now if you have the ability to get a front focal plain nildot scope with variable power of say 18-25 and still maintain the durability then i say why not.

i would suggest us optics who actually made the marine corps 10x unertl scopes if looking for something with variable power and a ffp along with durability , they offer some really bad ass optics and are def on par with schmidt and bender and the nightforce scopes if not better.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
8541 said:
the reason behind the marine corps 10x unertl was that it was not a front focal plain reticle and a fixed power was used to keep the mildot reticle true in the calculations for range to target and so on. during my time in the marine corps we went out to ranges up to 1,200 yards with the unertl scopes and they worked great and were very rugged and well built , i would love to own one nowdays but i dont want to part with 3-4 grand to get one. another thing you guys nbeed to remember is that although marine scout snipers are some of the best marksman in the world imo you have to understand we are trained to make a hit on target with the first shot every single time being the goal as well as fast target aquisition and a first round kill not to get a group the size of a dime but to quater our target and put a round out there and dispatch the target and move to the next and for ranges up to what i ahve described a 10x scope works great. now if you have the ability to get a front focal plain nildot scope with variable power of say 18-25 and still maintain the durability then i say why not.

i would suggest us optics who actually made the marine corps 10x unertl scopes if looking for something with variable power and a ffp along with durability , they offer some really bad ass optics and are def on par with schmidt and bender and the nightforce scopes if not better.
I will have to agree to a even bigger degree and say that they are way better than a NF and on par with S&B. If I had funds I would really get me one. Maybe some day soon :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
A military sniper is for the most part trained for center mass hits, a wounded soldier takes 2 others out to carry him. Hits are all that count as 8541 stated, it was a long time ago when I went to sniper school (ARMY). 10 power was good enough back then, but with ranges of upwards of 2000 feasible, more power is never a bad thing. I have a S&B PMII, incredible scope, I have been fortunate enough to use a US Optics scope that a friend has, amazing, thats all I can say.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have shot my barrett out to a mile and it has the leupold mark IV 8.5x25 with a mildot reticle. It does the job and does it well.

I have shot my custom model 721 .270 out to 1000 yards and a little beyond on occasion and it has a leupold 4.5x14 mark IV with just a duplex reticle. It does the job and does it well.

But my favorite glass is on my 6.5 and it is the nightforce 5.5x22 with the npr1 reticle. It has the moa lines on the reticle and matching turrets. It is a second focal plane scope, but it is very user friendly and relatively easy to use for range finding if necessary and is AWESOME for spotting you can almost instantly call corrections for your shooter in moa which works well for our bunch cuz we all have moa turrets.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hognuts said:
I have shot my barrett out to a mile and it has the leupold mark IV 8.5x25 with a mildot reticle. It does the job and does it well.

I have shot my custom model 721 .270 out to 1000 yards and a little beyond on occasion and it has a leupold 4.5x14 mark IV with just a duplex reticle. It does the job and does it well.

But my favorite glass is on my 6.5 and it is the nightforce 5.5x22 with the npr1 reticle. It has the moa lines on the reticle and matching turrets. It is a second focal plane scope, but it is very user friendly and relatively easy to use for range finding if necessary and is AWESOME for spotting you can almost instantly call corrections for your shooter in moa which works well for our bunch cuz we all have moa turrets.

running the same night force scope, me and a friend from work went out just sighting in and shooting around and didnt even bother taking the spotting scope out of the case, called everything through my scope.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
.308remy said:
Hognuts said:

running the same night force scope, me and a friend from work went out just sighting in and shooting around and didnt even bother taking the spotting scope out of the case, called everything through my scope.

Last edited by .308remy (Yesterday 11:01: PM)

remington 700 sps tactical .308 custom build __remington 700 sps .270 __remington 870 tactical magnum with blackhawk knoxx stock
browning a bolt stainless stalker .243___browning .22 lr semi automatic
At what distance are you guys looking at ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would say that quality/clarity of the scope is more important at long range than actual magnification.

I would pick a 10x top tier glass(NF S&B or USO) over a 20x+ Nikon, Bushnell, BSA ect even with less magnification you will still be able to see clearer with the better quality scope. Personally i prefer the Nightforce 22x its a good blend of total elevation and magnification combine with good, clear glass.

I have shot out to a mile with the scope dialed to 11x. This was done to double the sub tensions on a 2nd focal plane scope in order to get enough elevation to get the 109moa needed to lob the 6.5creedmoor out to a mile. We regularly shoot out to a mile and beyond with 22x and can still see 50bmg hits on steel at one mile.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
Hey Hog how you like the BORS unit on the NF ?
shot to kill not wound ! .22 S&W model-422---WesternField M500 20GA---.223 Remington R-15---White Oak Armament 6.8 SPC AR-15
Reminton 700 SPS Tactical .308 with HS precision Stock
I have the leupold mark IV on my Barrett with the BORS, it is the 8.5x25...I wish it was the NF!!! But actually I am thinking of selling the BORS and eventually getting another NF for my fifty. The BORS is cool and it works ok, but if you switch ammo, you have to waste a bunch of ammo to get re-calibrated and dialed in....I would prefer to just go get data for my logbook with a few of my favorite and usual loads and then it is right there for me....instead of relying on the BORS unit when it is programmed for the 750 AMAX @ 2750 fps....it seems like a constant juggling act having to "add yardage" to the BORS display to compensate for POI....that has been my opinion so far....I am a big fan of the NF though!!!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to get me one really soon. Right now I'm juggling between a IOR or NF

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ordered a USO, I sold my BORS unit and the Leupold 8.5x25x50. I ordered a USO 5x22x58. It has the RDP MOA illuminated reticle, the large EREK elevation knob, built in bubble level (you see the bubble at the bottom of your sight picture...pretty badass new feature), 34mm tube, quick release mounts, anodized brown finish, 4 inch sunshade with the honeycomb Polarizer/ARD, and the flip top covers....If you cant tell I am like a little kid waiting for Christmas! I am going to move my Nightforce off the 6.5 onto the fifty and run the USO on my 6.5 for the matches. That little weapon is really coming into its own!!! Looking forward to running the NF on the fifty also and collecting data for the AMAX and some handloaded API rounds! Also looking forward to fine-tuning my data book on the 6.5 with the USO!

·
Registered
51 Posts
you should check on thiere new design (newer) they feature giant elevation knobs with 25moa of adjustment per revalution. i just picked up a 6-24x50mm 35mm tube and it is built like a tank and the adjustments are very well done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts