Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I took the old girl to the range again today with some different ammo and I'm starting to see what she likes to feed on.

here is how it went:

Range Report 10-30-2011 on 1976 Remington 700 BDL Varmint model rifle chambered in .223 Rem.

Rifle:

Optics: Vintage Redfield 10X AO scope with target turrets and duplex reticule

Ammo: Winchester 45 gr. Varmint JHP and Remington 50 gr. Accu-Tip VBT

Conditions: Mild, sunny, slight breeze out of the north 68 degrees F.

Protocol: The rifle was sighted in at 100 yards using the 45 gr. ammo first. A target was placed on the 100 yard stand and three shots were fired at each of the four bulls eyes on the target:

100 yard targets shot with 45 gr. Winchester Varmint JHP ammo:

The rifle was then sighted in with the Remington 50 gr. Accu-Tip VBT ammo. This required only two clicks of the elevation turret to zero in. A single target was placed on the 100 yard stand and five consecutive shots were fired at the bulls eye.

100 yard single target:

Conclusions: Again this rifle has surprised me. I can only imagine what the old girl could do with some hand loaded match grade ammo.

Kix

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 762!

This is the first Remington 700 I have ever owned after a lifetime of shooting. I like it a lot!

Kix

·
Registered
409 Posts
That is very impressive. I've gotten so used to looking at the utiliterian (yes, I probably butchered the spelling of that), black, tactical, stuff, I've forgotten how beautiful the wood stuff can be. Your monte carlo stock is awesome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Absolutely, good shooting and good GROUP! Please keep us posted if you develop a reload of comparison, or even better (we all hope for better)! I too, love the "old wooden gals" and the fun of working up the ultimate reload for Mr./Mrs. Whistle Pig! of my 8 older VS's, I have 2 that "pigs" hate. But if anyone has good varmint loads for 222vs, 223vs, 22-250vs, 243vs, 25-06vs, 6mmvs, 7mm-08vs and 308vs, I all too happy to hear form you all! Happy reloading and HOLIDAYs from WV. DonT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts