Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have one of the 1994-2002 700 Senderos in .270. I worked all summer to buy it back when i was in high school. This is the first rifle that I actually purchased so I'm a bit impartial to getting rid of it to build a .308. If you guys really think i should just build a 308 then thats cool and i can buy one. With that said....

I don't really understand the differences between the different model 700's. I bought the Sendero back then because I thought it looked cool, had a bull barrel (not fluted), and said it was a bedded stock. It was the most expensive 700 besides the SF version so i figured it had to shoot the best. Well, I don't really know how much that accounts to and how great the gun actually is out of the box. Thankfully now I'm in the military and can afford more upgrades than i could delivering pizza back in high school lol.

I have read some people say that .270 is better than .308 balistically but isn't as accurate at long ranges i.e. 1000 yards. Well, I'll be the first to say I've never attempted a 1k yard shot. I'm from South Carolina and we don't have many areas that you even COULD try to make a shot like that. That doesn't mean i don't want a rifle that can though :D So, what I would like to know is how good is my rifle right now compared to say, a SPS, the newer Senderos etc... and what can/should i do to improve it? At the moment it is completely stock. I have only put 60-100 rounds through it. It has a Leupold PR line mil-dot scope that i bought for it two years ago. So, what can be done? I need a bipod for sure and i'm game for any other info! is my stock good or should i upgrade? can i just skim bed it or would that still not be as good as a new stock?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't recall which stock the Sendaro came with back then but I believe they were laminated. If that's so, you could glass bed it with no problem.

The choice of caliber is wide open. I wouldn't pick the 308 for a 1000 yard gun because it has pretty much run out of steam at that range. You have the long action so pick something a little better suited to the task.

The only problem with the .270 is the quality of available bullets and the twist you probably have. I really don't know what's available to match your twist for long range.

If it were my rifle I'd go for a new 8 twist barrel in one of the 6.5 offerings like the 6.5X47 Lapua. Having a long action would allow loading to the lands and still feeding through the mag.

Lots of options.

If you're talking about hunting with it at long range, sell it and get something in 300 Mag or larger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For what its worth, I bought a sendero in 270 in 1994, right after they came out. It has the HS Presicion stock. Here is a 500 yard target with a 2rd group. I was shooting 2 rds then go check the target. Was gonna hunt the field that afternoon and was checking my dope. Not too bad for the first 2 rds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
jamey said:
Hey guys, I have one of the 1994-2002 700 Senderos in .270. I worked all summer to buy it back when i was in high school. This is the first rifle that I actually purchased so I'm a bit impartial to getting rid of it to build a .308. If you guys really think i should just build a 308 then thats cool and i can buy one. With that said....

I don't really understand the differences between the different model 700's. I bought the Sendero back then because I thought it looked cool, had a bull barrel (not fluted), and said it was a bedded stock. It was the most expensive 700 besides the SF version so i figured it had to shoot the best. Well, I don't really know how much that accounts to and how great the gun actually is out of the box. Thankfully now I'm in the military and can afford more upgrades than i could delivering pizza back in high school lol.

I have read some people say that .270 is better than .308 balistically but isn't as accurate at long ranges i.e. 1000 yards. Well, I'll be the first to say I've never attempted a 1k yard shot. I'm from South Carolina and we don't have many areas that you even COULD try to make a shot like that. That doesn't mean i don't want a rifle that can though :D So, what I would like to know is how good is my rifle right now compared to say, a SPS, the newer Senderos etc... and what can/should i do to improve it? At the moment it is completely stock. I have only put 60-100 rounds through it. It has a Leupold PR line mil-dot scope that i bought for it two years ago. So, what can be done? I need a bipod for sure and i'm game for any other info! is my stock good or should i upgrade? can i just skim bed it or would that still not be as good as a new stock?
Shoot the .270 and just "tweak" it. Handloads...bedded action with pillars of course....trigger adjusted or replaced...etc...etc. It will suprise you a lot.
So why a .308? Its a rage not an actuality. Many better calibers if you are looking to punch paper at WAAAYYYY off distance ( 600-100 yds) Im in the process of getting a 260 put together. Its more accurate..less $$ to shoot and lots less recoil and I dont have anywhere within a days drive I can go to shoot 1000 yds...the best is 600 closeby and its normally a 400-500 yard range. So a .260 for MY purpose works out 10000% better.

If you decide your going to be shooting LONG distance a LOT...then you need 300 Win Mag or bigger to shove 200+ grain slugs at high speeds

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shoot the rifle and see wha tit will be capable of first, you may be surprised. The 270 will push a 150 gr to almost 3000 fps. Get the trigger adjusted, check your bedding, make sure everything is tight , and shoot it. My brother is a AR nut, he has one hunting rifle a 270 , in a ruger old model. This rifle has been everywhere, it slid down a shale slide in colorado. It looks like a chain saw was used on the stock. He took a caribou with it in Quebec at a little over 360 yards. This rifle has a zeiss scope on it and he says its not for sale. He thinks quite highly of it. I reload for it, he uses one load for everything, a 150 gr Sp

·
Registered
277 Posts
You already own it so the caliber is set for you.

I would "base line" it first. You said you have about 100 rounds through it - so you must know how it shoots.

Then I would restock it. You already have a scope that can, and does, work so I'd save up for a really great piece of glass - $1,500 - $2,000. So restock that bad boy and get shooting.

A bipod is needed, but not right away. You can shoot from a rest for now. I'd get the bipod last, after the glass.

Stock, glass, bipod, paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts