Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to making this post Ive spent some time researching serial numbers and the way in which you can date the manufacture of the gun. Ive found a 700 that is pre warning label that I would like to purchase for my son as a gift. Remingtonsociety.com has a diagram that should enable me to date this rifle. All the references Ive found depend on the first two letters in the serial number to determine the date of manufacture, my problem is the gun Im considering buying only has one letter in the entire number. At this point im an idiot and cant figure this out. If anybody can help me I would be grateful! Number stamped on left side of barrell is as follows.

A6337356

·
Registered
8 Posts
Duff said:
Prior to making this post Ive spent some time researching serial numbers and the way in which you can date the manufacture of the gun. Ive found a 700 that is pre warning label that I would like to purchase for my son as a gift. Remingtonsociety.com has a diagram that should enable me to date this rifle. All the references Ive found depend on the first two letters in the serial number to determine the date of manufacture, my problem is the gun Im considering buying only has one letter in the entire number. At this point im an idiot and cant figure this out. If anybody can help me I would be grateful! Number stamped on left side of barrell is as follows.

A6337356
There are two LETTERS on a barrel - will report and I will be able to help you.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
^^ +1 the numbers and letters near the recoil lug will tell what date the rifle is. That is unless the barrel has been replaced.

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^^^^ Yep, right on top of the rifle. The recoil lug is between the reciever and the barrell. The recoil lug looks like a spacer to you when you're looking down from above at the top of the barrel and receiver.

There will either be 2 letters or 3 letters, depending on when it was made. There was a 10yr period that Remmington used 3 letters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts