Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally went out and shot this old 3-9x40 scope, I wanted to see if it would make it all the way through. Shot was taken from a 100 yards, and handloaded ammo.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I did watch the Myth Busters and they were saying that the through the scope shot that Carlos Hathcock did in Vietnam was only possible because of the fact that the scope that the enemy had didnt have many magnification lenses in it. They shot one like the one you shot backwoodzboy then they shot another that simulated a scope that that the VC had on his rifle and saw that it was possible but not possible with the new modern scopes. Nice though I will try to do this myself now :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
The scope is FUBAR! Nice! :lol:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
backwoodzboy said:
Some of the guys were, "can you even see that scope?" I said, dude, I am looking through that scope.
:lol::lol:

What weapon did you shoot it with ?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not through that scope!....lol!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Impressive attempt to reproduce Gunny Hathcocks shot. Having heard this story and several others from him in person has made me a huge fan of what he actually did. What type of bullet did you use for the shot? Match or some sort of bonded core bullet? Or was it just a standard FMJ ? I'm curious.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't call it a weapon, but it is my SPS Varmint. It is chambered in .308. I am using Winchester brass CCI BR2 primers, 168 gr SMK, over IMR 4895 powder. This recipe averages 2649 fps. I think she shoots good for a factory stick, I do have it wrapped in a Choat Ultimate Varmiter stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts