Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you shoot off a bench when out in the field shooting or at a gravel pit?

I've tried using a fold out table with legs, but it just doesn't seem as steady.

Something like this looks rather stable: http://www.aeroaces.com/bench1.htm

I'm just looking for some feed back/input about what type of shooting bench I would need. I think the one at the link above might be good because the legs are angled far apart and extend outward. I would need to be portable, where I could break it down and transport it in the trunk of a car.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sorta have a table like that already with the 4 legs type thing. I think a design with 4 legs is actually more unstable than one with 3. Sorta like a tripod is stable.

I could probably make one for half that cost any way. I have access to cheap galvanized pipe for the legs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My concern is if the bench is even going to work for me and be durable... I'm 6'6" and 340 lbs, and tend to crush things I sit on.

OTOH, one it's settled in, the bench ain't going to move!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I prefer prone shooting myself. Have used a bench at the range a few times but prefer prone even there. Thats a personal thing though.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know prone is the most stable shooting position, but I find it so uncomfortable. I've looked up how do get proper positioning, but I sill find it a tad uncomfortable. I may need to research that a bit more and get the position better. I also need a a bi-pod for my rifle I think that may help as I was trying to use some sort of bench-rest style shooting stand while prone.

I just had a thought, maybe it would help a bit also if I went to medium height scope rings instead of the high rings? It seems to me that maybe I was in too much of an upward position and that was putting strain on my back. :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts