Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
On a Model 700, measure between the screw holes on the bottom of the rifle.

Long action is 7 3/8"....short action is 6 1/2".
A .270 would be classified as a long action cartridge.
cdj588 said:
How can I tell if a rifle is a short or long action? and is a .270 a short action?

·
Registered
795 Posts
RBoomK said:

That's the best explanation I've seen for determining whether an action is long or short. The most I've been able to find is a list of long and short calibers.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SemperFi said:
RBoomK said:

That's the best explanation I've seen for determining whether an action is long or short. The most I've been able to find is a list of long and short calibers.

Thanks for the info!
would a smaller caliber like a little .22 bolt action be considers a short action and say a 50 caliber probably a really long action?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The .22 rimfire and .50 BMG would fall into their own categories due to each one's unique type of action. A manufacturer's designation of "long" or "short" action deals specifically with receiver length. Example: A .223, 22-250, .243, or .308 would be classified as short action cartridges due to their length. A .270 or 30-06 would be a long action cartridge due to it's length. Stand a .308 up next to a 30-06 and you can really see the difference.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
anything that is longer than about three fingers is a long action. the opening is about 2 3/8 inches in length. but RBoomK wrote it the best if you have a tape measure around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts