Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 700 Fans!
Looking for some information from the group if I could. I got bit by the Short Shroud Varmint Special bug a while back, and was wondering how many Varmint Specials were made in that timeframe? I believe the short shroud was phased out in about 68, the ones I am aware of are the .223, .222, .22-250, .243 & 6mm, I have never seen or heard why .308 wasn’t cataloged, maybe someone knows the story? Couple things I know, they sure are fun to shoot with a Unertl sitting on top, and I think the 6mm is the best shooter of the bunch with a 95 gr Berger. Any info or discussion would be welcome, thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
536 Posts
Never realized there was a difference in shrouds. Looks like 69 was the change. Check the catalogs:

Reactions: Akshooting

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never realized there was a difference in shrouds. Looks like 69 was the change. Check the catalogs:

That is awesome, thanks for the link! Yeah, the story on the shroud length I guess Australia was going to refuse to import the 700 with an exposed firing pin as the short shroud left it, so Remington came up with the longer shroud where the cap is flush when cocked, and protected when fired

1 - 3 of 3 Posts