Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw that a few guys on here have had their barrels shortened. what is the point to it, is it for weight or for accuracy? i've always been tought that the longer barrels were more accurate. fill me in guys, im confused

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have seen a few of the police 700's cut down, a sps tacticle cut down, and even a sporter barrel cut down.

·
Registered
181 Posts
First off, for pure intrinsic accuracy, a shorter barrel of the same contour is going to be stiffer than a longer one... pure physics. A longer one will have more whip when firing. But, if you are shooting with iron sights, the sight radius will be longer and therefore, has the potential for greater accuracy. With a scope, it won't matter.

Downside to short barrels? Loss of velocity for sure, how much depends on the chambering. It'll change the balance, but that can be good or bad. Blast will seem worse, 'cause it'll be closer to your ears.

I happen to like longer barrels, but then i'm a big 'ol bubba at 6'6" tall, and I think there might be something to having a rifle 'fitted' to you like a shotgun. And, frankly, I want the blast from my .25-06, .257 Weatherby, 7mm RemMags, .300Win and Weatherby Mags as far away as I can get therm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i could have my sporter barrel shortened to stiffen it, along with a better stock and floating my barrel i should have much better accuracy but a little less velocity if im getting this right

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The amount of velocity that is usually lost in every inch of barrel is 30 fps. For a sporter barrel I don't know if I would go through the trouble of getting cut down and all. My sps in 308 shot really great and with no problems at all shot sub MOA. I would shoot the barrel until groups are that bad to were you cant hit anything and get a rifle overhaul with a nice bull barrel installed. I don't think you will see that much of a diference to make it worth while to have your barrel cut down and recrowned.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just wondering if it would help. id say my barrel is going down hill, its got alot of shots on it. its got about 1500 rounds of military surplus ammo through it plus about 300 tracer rounds, also about 100 rounds of factory ammo and a good 250 of reloads. lot of rounds but i can still manage to bust a clay pigeon at 450 so still good enough to kill with, just dont trust it much past 450 anymore

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well when it's blow out get the rifle to a gunsmith and get a nice custom barrel installed on it :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what barrel would do best for the money.i do alot of longer distance shooting while hunting for coyote. i usually play clean up, if more than one coyote shows up i take the longer distance one same thing if it comes up and wont come close enough for my dad or uncle or when my buddy chris has a duh moment and completely misses a point blank shot. i need a good barrel that will offer dependability every time im out, a missed coyote is lost money and ammo.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That's a nice post and article. Thanks for the post. There is a YouTube video that lowlight from snipershide shooting a 18 inch gap custom rifle at 1000 yards and it hitting a 8x14 or 14x8 dong every single shot. If you going to aim at achieving higher fps you will need a longer barrel. As for your question I got a Shilen custom 18 inch barrel on my
6.8 SPC AR15 that's shoots awesome. But here are a few that I can think of off the top of my head. Shilen, Lilja, Hart, McGowen, Brown Precision, Vandyker, Krieger Barrels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Lilja 23" heavy flutted and now that I found a good load it produces .4" groups every round fired. Don't ask me why but the damn thing won't shoot factory match ammo to save its life. I'm talking 1.5" groups at 100 yards but it loves custom handloads. Its crazy but good thing I reload.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That's how my Shilen 18 inch in 6.8 SPC is also willnot shoot factory at will shoot reloads all day long.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i just aquired a new barrel. its just another sporter barrel but its only had 20 shots through it and it was free. my buddy bought a new 700 to build and he only shot one box of ammo before his new bull barrel came in. would it be worth it to have this one shortened and recrowned as sort of an experiment and tinker toy?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I guess it cant hurt to give it a try. My only hate towards a sporter barrel is the fact that I cant shoot 10 without having to wait to cool off. My 20 BB is nice though and accurate :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont like the cool down time either, but it takes a while for me to get down range to check targets since our range is always loaded with plinkers that never want to hold up on firing. plus i usually alternate between my three rifles so they are always cool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cut down my old 721 .06 the best thing I did to this rifle next to the trigger replacment lapping lugs and resetting head space and replacing the stock its my deer slayer. Next thing this one will get is a full blown overhaul M24!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts