Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

Siam mauser

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jimg11 
#1 ·
Back in the 1970s here in Southern NH the bolt action for some reason was not popular. Levers, Semi-autos, and pumps were what the locals wanted. Mt local gun shop made it a practice to try and sell any nice Bolt Guns out west and had contacts in the western states that would buy any nice Bolt Action that the local shop came up with. One day I went into the shop and asked what is new. The proprietor went out back and brought out two items and said "what the heck am I going to do with these". The first was a Navy Arms Siam Mauser Barreled Action with a heavy 18" barrel chambered in 45-70. The second was a well worn 93 Mauser in 7 X 57 Mauser with a nice Redfield scope. I did not want the 93 Mauser but the scope and mounts were Very interesting. I gave him less than $100 for the 2 items. I then had to get a Bishop Stock and have a gunsmith tap the Action and bend the bolt handle to clear the scope. After a period of time I had a nice Bolt action 45-70 that was fun to shoot and fun to hunt with. It is no light weight but is very accurate.
Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun Shotgun

See less See more
#4 ·
It holds 5 with one in the chamber. The original Siam Military Rifle used a large rimmed 8 mm round and was made in Japan for Siam and was a copy of the Mauser. When the rifles became available it was found that the 45-70 would work through the action. The importer NAVY ARMS added a heavy short 45-70 barrel to the bare action and sold them as barreled actions.

#5 ·
When I had my gun shop from 1970 thru 1986, I was a frequent visitor to Navy Arms as I had two other distributors in the same general area as well as Henry Arms in those days. Navy Arms always had some interesting stuff all the time.

Bob

#6 ·
Other than a Remington style Cap and ball 44 Revolver that I had in the 1960s I did not have any other Navy arms guns but I always kept an eye on the Navy Arms Products. I just did not feel the need for Black Powder shooting at the time. I was really happy to get the Siam Mauser with the Redfield scope from the 93 Mauser. Later I sold the 93 for more than I had paid originally for the 93 and the barreled action. The action was stamped with the serial in Siam numbers and Navy Arms restamped the same Serial in our numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.