Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Bought new out of the box sps in 308 20". Worked up a great load pf 8208 xbr 41.8grns smk 168.
Have been driving tacks at 200 yds and have worked out to 600 yds well with in the 10 ring on F class target. Started having group issues after about 600 rounds. Rechecked OAL of chamber and it has grown by .058. Anybody else come across this? Suggestions, ideas? Thx

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have the same problem with the 600 yard targets.I'm using 44.0grs. of IMR4064,168SMK,and a OAL of 2.800" trim length of 2.004" My last sniper match was limited to 400 yards.I did very good on the first two stages but the heat got to me and my partner.The last two stages we were terrible!I have not found my chamber to grow.I loosely seat a bullet in a unprimed case and check the runout on the bullet before inserting into the chamber.I make sure the bullet is seated to have a length too long.Then as the round is chambered the bullet is pushed back by contacting the lands.I hope this helps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
03mach1 said:
Hi guys,
Bought new out of the box sps in 308 20". Worked up a great load pf 8208 xbr 41.8grns smk 168.
Have been driving tacks at 200 yds and have worked out to 600 yds well with in the 10 ring on F class target. Started having group issues after about 600 rounds. Rechecked OAL of chamber and it has grown by .058. Anybody else come across this? Suggestions, ideas? Thx
I have never heard of the chamber growing in length,however rem 700's do have extra long throats
read snipercountrys review on the rem 700 pss and it might explain what may be what you experiencing? I KNOW MINE ARE EXTREMLY LONG, BUT STILL SHOOT EXTREMLEY WELL :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
03mach1 said:
Hi guys,
Actually, it's very common. What happens is the lands erode and allow the bullet to seat farther out. 600 rounds is maybe a little soon but it depends on how it was fired. Match shooting, where the barrel is aloud to heat up, will cause erosion to advance faster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jerrschmitt said:
03mach1 said:
Hi guys,
Actually, it's very common. What happens is the lands erode and allow the bullet to seat farther out. 600 rounds is maybe a little soon but it depends on how it was fired. Match shooting, where the barrel is aloud to heat up, will cause erosion to advance faster.

Good to know thx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts