Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

SPS .223 copper fouling...

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mayor 
#1 ·
First post (except for an introduction post..)...

I acquired a slightly used SPS Tac .223, 20" and have found two terrifically accurate loads using 69gr SMK and 55gr Vmax, with IMR8208 XBR.

The issue is the thing copper fouls like crazy. When I bought it, it was clean of powder residue, but orange with copper fouling

During my load development, I would clean the bore spotless between each range session.

My range sessions are one fouling shot, then 5 different loads (powder, COAL, primer, etc), 3 shots each. Total 16 shots.

Only took 3 sessions to find a very accurate 100 and 200 yard load.

BUT... it takes 5-7 complete cleaning cycles (One cycle = Push wet patch with Pro-Shot Copper Solvent, let sit for 5 min, Brush 3-4 times, dry patch 2 times) to get the bore back to "clean". I hate running my cleaning rod down a barrel that many times. I do use a bore guide with a polished SS .17 cleaning rod.

I have other varmint rifles I use for prairie dogging (22-250 Savage LRPV, .204 RRA, and a 17 Hornet Sako), and none of them copper foul like this one, and come clean with one or two cycles.

The bore scope shows a bit of a rough bore, and a tight patch doesn't "feel" smooth going down the bore like my 22-250, but the accuracy can't be argued with.

I'm considering doing the JB treatment or Rem 40-X bore cleaner treatment and shine up the bore before next range session. Any thoughts?

My desired bottom line is keep the accuracy and make it easier to clean when on a really hot dog town.

If I get time today (Thanksgiving), and the boys want to hit the range after the feast!!!, I think I'll send 25 of the most accurate load so far at 100 yards in a rather rapid fire speed, and see if I see a drastic falloff in accuracy. If not, I probably won't use a bore paste treatment.

See less See more
#4 ·
I coated by 700 .223 with poly coating that avoids fouling issues and use Montana Extreme cleaning solvents especially "copper killer". I look for the barrel coating and post it up, it works. I had to clean the heck out of the barrel when it was new before application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.