Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In terms of accuracy & quality right out of the box, are there any major difference between the SPS models and the higher-end series such as the BDL, CDL?

I am looking more towards the ones with heavier and longer barrels (26") but I have not decided on the calibers yet. So far, these are the ones in my mind (243, .30, 30-06, .300 mag).

Usage: mainly longer distance range shooting (100, 200, 500, 1000 yds) and big game hunting (as in deer, elk).

I was in the military and all I used were mainly 5.56mm (.223) stuffs and the big caliber M203 grenade-launcher, of course. This will be my first bolt-action rifle. I can afford something decent but I am more willing to pay for technical superiority than exterior wood carvings.

Please lead the way. Thanks!

--
Art

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would get a .308 to start with. The ammo is fairly cheap and its a good practice rifle. My SPS Tac with a 20" barrel is a 1/2 minute rifle after a few little upgrades and if I do my part. So after you learn the art of shooting long range then think about a really nice extreme long range cartridge maybe a 7mm Mag or a 300 Win Mag. If you want a package ready to go the 5R in .308 is really nice and an accurate rifle. To answer your question better I dont think that a stock SPS Tac or a SPS Varmint will out shoot the same rifle with a better stock, bedded and good glass. And to clear up my statement a little better I would like to know who would put money down that they can out shoot my rifle at 500+ yards ? 100 yards is fine but as the range increases you will need a rifle that is consistent shot to shot. The SPS rifles cant give you that is stock configuration. Some might argue but mine does Ok how many shots in a row does it produce the same accuracy ?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The 5R is the MilSpec rifle that is stainless steel. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540287

Also 20 out to 1000 yards is not issue for me. I have loads that roll out at 2620 FPS plenty for 1000 yards. Also a plus for the 20" barrel is that there is less harmonics happening with the barrel then a longer barrel. Longer barrel will give you better velocities and nothing wrong with it. The fact of the matter is that with the right loads even the 20" is enough for 1000 yards. For people that don't reload I would recommend a 24-26 inch barrel though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting discussions.

Between the 5R and Sendero, why did you pick the latter? They are the same price range, aren't they?

SniperCentral's test results were not spectacular but the materials used in the 5R are definitely interesting.
Do you believe the part that the barrels of the 5R came from M24 production line that did not meet the milspecs?

http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

·
Registered
18 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
Also 20 out to 1000 yards is not issue for me. I have loads that roll out at 2620 FPS plenty for 1000 yards. Also a plus for the 20" barrel is that there is less harmonics happening with the barrel then a longer barrel. Longer barrel will give you better velocities and nothing wrong with it. The fact of the matter is that with the right loads even the 20" is enough for 1000 yards. For people that don't reload I would recommend a 24-26 inch barrel though.
Just to add...
I was getting 2700+ with factory Hornady 'superformance' 168 loads in my SPS tactical .308, and 2600+ with 'regular' 168 Hornady and FGMM. Testing with my 22" M1A showed only about 60fps increase with the Federal rounds.

So 20" long range is probably practical for us non loaders too :). (I am slowly working my way up to that)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
arthury said:
Interesting discussions.

Between the 5R and Sendero, why did you pick the latter? They are the same price range, aren't they?

SniperCentral's test results were not spectacular but the materials used in the 5R are definitely interesting.
Do you believe the part that the barrels of the 5R came from M24 production line that did not meet the milspecs?

http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

I got the Sendero because of the price difference was not much and I was getting a fluted barrel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How does the 5R perform compared to the 700P 26" in terms of groupings?
Anyone done any comparisons?
The price is $50-60 only.

For one thing the 700P has a very strong track record. Is the 5R used by PD's anywhere? I know the twist rate of the 5R is the same as the M24 but I don't think they share the same stock, do they? We are not even sure if they have the exact same barrel. Still, the 5R has that authentic feel.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
In the .308 cal the twist is 11.5 and in 300 win mag the 5R has a 1-10 twist. The main thing I hear about a 5R is the cleaning is easier and less copper fouling. The plus for the 5R is that it is stainless steel. gglass here has a thread here about his 700P and a lot of targets posted and what he has done with his.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know for sure that the new 700P 26" ones sold in the market are using the 40X trigger or have they changed it all back to the X-Mark Pro trigger?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Arthury, I bought a 22-250 in the sps 700. Composite stock is fair at best out of the box. I bedded the action and free floated the barrel which seemed to make a good difference, All in All for a hunting rifle Im very satisfied. I bought it to carry through the mountains, not a heavy rifle at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts