Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-stainless.aspx

I happened to notice that the SPS SS has quite interesting specs:
  • twist rate of the SPS SS for the 308 Win is 10" --- that's faster twist rate than the M24/5R[/*]
  • 24" barrel[/*]
  • 416 steel barrel [/*]

Questions:
Does this mean that it can power up heavier grained bullets a lot better?
Anyone know if the factory stock has pillar support?
What's the bedding like?

·
Registered
60 Posts
+1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread, but it seems relevant to my question to just add on to this one.

I'm very new to shooting, especially long range. I recently purchased an SPS SS .308 (the same posted above)
I'm interested in reloading but for now I'm trying to find a good round for this rifle. I've only been shooting lighter bullets because I read on here the 700s like 168gr for target shooting (which is all I do). But after finding this thread, would I be better to try something heavier? 175gr? 180+?
I'm not all that great at shooting this rifle yet so I'm not going to be able to tell what is better on my own. I'm still trying to get consistent MOA groups, lol! But I'd like to start buying the necessary powders, bullets, etc. for handloading my own rounds in the near future. I'd also like to practice with a good starting factory load so I can get better. Please let me know some good recommendations for this rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Luckyshot, you would be fine with 168s or 175s. Each rifle is different, regardless of twist. My rifle has the 1:10 and I mainly shoot 175smk. I had to send a lot of rounds down range to find a load I wanted to keep. With the 168s, my rifle likes most loads. Buy a box of each and do a side by side comparison. For farther ranges, the 175s will do better than the 168s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts