Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got my sps two days ago love the feel and looks, but haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. The issue is with hornady TAP ammo, when I try to load it there is a lot of resistance when locking the bolt down, but with my reloads the resistance is much less. Just wondering if there is something I can do to fix it or just stop using the TAP ammo?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Give it a good cleaning. It may just be tight because it's a brand new action and all that.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
If you have a micrometer measure the casing from the reloads and the TAP ammo. Also try other ammo and see what it does. Its either the TAP ammo casings or your chamber is really tight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winxp_Man said:
Welcome to the forum!
If you have a micrometer measure the casing from the reloads and the TAP ammo. Also try other ammo and see what it does. Its either the TAP ammo casings or your chamber is really tight.
When I took a closer look at the casing it is taking little gouges out. From the extractor, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Winxp_Man said:
Does this happen to all the casings? Or just the tap casings?
It is very minimal with the Remington reload casings, but it is still there. In those it is like nicks instead of gouges on the Hornady rims. I've been searching other places too, and it seems like this isn't the first time. The problem seems to be happening only in the 223.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I could be the chamber has to get re-cut. Try weighting your cases and see if the Hornady cases weight more than the Remington cases. I can almost say that it is your chamber though. It might be a tighter chamber or your head space is not enough to release the right amount of gasses and causing the cases to expand to much. Either way I would talk to Remington and see if they will take a look at your rifle and fix the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Winxp_Man said:
I could be the chamber has to get re-cut. Try weighting your cases and see if the Hornady cases weight more than the Remington cases. I can almost say that it is your chamber though. It might be a tighter chamber or your head space is not enough to release the right amount of gasses and causing the cases to expand to much. Either way I would talk to Remington and see if they will take a look at your rifle and fix the problem.
I have yet to fire it, but the thing that grabs onto the rim seems to be the culprit. I contacted Remington. Waiting for a response, will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well reading this I missed the part were you did not fire it yet but it can be a simple extractor change out and your gtg. does the extractor look bad on the bolt? thats the little claw that grabs the case.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would try this also........ try putting a normal case into your chamber by and push on it a little to make sure it seated real good inside the chamber and then see if it comes out easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Winxp_Man said:
Well reading this I missed the part were you did not fire it yet but it can be a simple extractor change out and your gtg. does the extractor look bad on the bolt? thats the little claw that grabs the case.
I'm not sure if it's bad, but I'm 100% sure that claw is what is cutting into the cases leaving little brass shavings all over. Remington is closed for the holiday, but on other sites they suggested filing. (Which I refuse to do)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Remington wants me to send if off to have their guys take a look at it, but I don't want to go six weeks without it if i can fix it with a new extractor for $14...anyone have any thoughts if I could have just got a bad one, or will a new one not fix the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
jwaz27 said:
Remington wants me to send if off to have their guys take a look at it, but I don't want to go six weeks without it if i can fix it with a new extractor for $14...anyone have any thoughts if I could have just got a bad one, or will a new one not fix the problem?
I had the same problem with my LTR. Changed extractors and still chewing up the rim and hard locking of the bolt. It seemed that the extractor wouldn't slide into the relief cut enough to let it slip over the rim. What I did was to relieve the claw part of the extractor a little with a file and smoothed with 400# sandpaper. Now the bolt cycles like it should.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the ideas, put in a new extractor today from Midway and the problem seems to be fixed for $14 instead of sending it away. Now, can't wait to get to the range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts