Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the 2009 catalog posted on the Remington website and I did not see the SPS Tactical. Any one know for certain? :(

·
Registered
639 Posts
No No No No, dont say that too me!!!!! Well, in that case we better get one ASAP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wanting one too!!

I may have to sale something to by it. There were some other tactical/precision rifles in their new catalog but I would guess that they will be quite a bit more expensive!

·
Registered
639 Posts
True aye. Has the new catalog been released??

·
Registered
795 Posts
My best guess is that they replaced it with the 700 Target Tactical. That gun would make a nice "pull off" stock for the SPS Tactical!

I hope they didn't discontinue it already though! :(

·
Registered
639 Posts
Man, They have got soo may with the triangular barrel!!!! They look like CRAP!!! How can they get rid of the SPS Tactical, all the had to do was to restock it and it would have been perfect also with the new externally adjustable X-Mark trigger of theirs.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I agree Quick 100%!

Seems strange to get rid of a popular gun, if that's the case. I also see they have a "short tactical" in the catalog, I wonder if that's the new "SPS"? It has a synthetic stock and a fluted barrel.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Nah, I think thats the XCR Compact Tactical. Its a lot more then the SPS Tactical. Juust has a 20" Fluted Barrel and a B&C stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't worry guys. You can always get an SPS varmint and cut the barrel or the SPS Ltd which has a 20" barrel. Both of those have the tupperware stock which is easy to throw away.

·
Registered
639 Posts
SPS Ltd?? I didnt see that one??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, last year they only ran the SPS Ltd for a limited time, hence the name. It's the same as the SPS Tactical but with a tuperware stock and I think it retailed for around $500-$525 so it wasn't that much less.

The short tactical as I understand it is the XCR Compact Tactical. It's a 700 with a Bell & Carlson compact tactical stock and a 20" LTR barrel and it wholesales for more than twice what the SPS Tactical retails for. If you want an XCR Compact Tactical get with me and we'll piece one together for you. We can get an SPS youth BDL for $500, a Bell & Carlson compact tactical stock for $300 and a 20" ER Shaw barrel for $160, cerakote it for $100 and be out the door for $1060 which is less than the wholesale price from Remington. Throw another $100 into a Timney trigger and you'll have a heck of a nice shooter with a custom look, certainly sub.5 MOA on the cheap. Crimony, you could get the SPS tactical for $600 or whatever they go for and put it in the B&C stock and be good to go for $900.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I wish they would have kept the SPS Tactical. I think it was becoming quite popular. However, the XCR Compact Tactical seems to have taken it's place. I would rather buy an SPS Tactical, considering the price difference, and then upgrade the stock when I see fit!

I suppose they went with the XCR Compact Tactical figuring people wouldn't have to upgrade. But I would rather just by the action with the plastic stock... and then upgrade later. I think it would be cheaper also, instead of going with the XCR. To bad they go rid of the SPS Tactical!

·
Registered
639 Posts
The thing is with the SPS Tactical, I think people would prefer buying that instead of the XCR Comact as you can get a new stock for it that YOU want. If you got the XCR, then you might feel less inclined as it cost more for the overall rifle. Most people with a R700 are going to upgrade aprts of the rifle so it makes sence to build one that caters for this. The SPS Tactical DID!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am not heartbroken over the loss, but I never like seeing a choice taken away. I don't really like stubby barrels anyway, so I woud probably get a Varmint SPS and chop the barrel three inches, have it set back and rechambered, and slap on whichever stock catches my fancy at that particular time. It would also be a little different. Who has a 23" barreled tac rifle, anyway?

·
Registered
639 Posts
BK, yeah I see where you are coming from. But it was one of those rifle that was really popular and you could do soo much with.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I gotcha, but for me, it's not a huge loss, just one of my personal hangups. Easier to chop 3" off of an existing barrel that to try to add a couple on!

Just curious, does anybody know what the price difference is/was between the tac and Varmint models? I wonder if there is a difference, if it's enough to cover the cost of chopping the barrel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BK said:
I am not heartbroken over the loss, but I never like seeing a choice taken away. I don't really like stubby barrels anyway, so I woud probably get a Varmint SPS and chop the barrel three inches, have it set back and rechambered, and slap on whichever stock catches my fancy at that particular time. It would also be a little different. Who has a 23" barreled tac rifle, anyway?

Member #6!
That's exactly what I was thinking.. I've got an SPS in the shop and I thought long and hard about cutting 3" but went with 2" to stay in Mil. spec. Why is it that everybody sticks with even numbers regarding barrel length?

dv

1 - 20 of 23 Posts