Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

SPS Tactical -- Range Report

14K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  El Chorizo 
#1 ·
Here is my first range report for my Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. This is the first time I was able to get out shooting and after working a bit on load development and a bit of barrel break in. The results speak for themselves.

I need more practice, as the rifle still shoots better than I can...

I was quite pleased with the results as these were the first 5 shots from the rifle cold bore. I was shooting at 100 yards.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mate, the SPS Tactical does it again. Nice shooting. What loads were you using? Ive only used 155gr SMKs in my Omark and havn't done any group work yet, but I will do.

#3 ·
I'm shooting the 168 gr SMk's (HPBT) with 45 grains of Varget powder. It seems to be a nice clean burning powder. I'm also using Winchester brass, which I think is a little bit soft, but i'm getting 10+ reloadings of of them. In fact, I'm still on my first batch of brass!

I also seated the bullet out beyond the factory length. I think I'm at 2.931" for overall length.

Who makes Omark (or maybe Omark is the brandname)? Never heard of that brand of gun before.

#4 ·
Omark is an old aussie brand which used to build Target rifles for us aussies. Mines a Sportco 44 Fullbore target rifle, but will be adding a scope soon. Just need to justify the price of a decent scope which will go on a AU$200 rifle!!!!!! A mate of mine uses Lapua brass for target shooting and gets about 6 reloads before re throws them, he only realods the winchester stuff to 5 reloads then throws it. Im only using factory loads as a reloading kit costs too much.

A mate is going to reload my ammo. Im going to get him to load 155gr SMKs with 46gr of ADI AR2208 in my once fired winchester brass. Ill use that stuff for proberly about 5 - 6 times and then buy some lapua stuff. the factory ammo I buy is only about AU$21/20rds which is VERY cheap over here and its Match Ammo aswell.

Heres a few pics of my Omark.

And a close up of the Action.

#5 ·
Wow, that is a really good price for ammo. For premium stuff in the US, such as Federal Gold Medal Match ammo, it's about $40 (US Dollars)!

I use reloading equipment made by Lee Precision. It's very good stuff for a very good price. It might look "cheap" compaired to something like RCBS, but it is reliable, and will produce very nice reloads. I'm not sure if you would be able to get that stuff down there or not.

Good luck finding a scope.

Lapua brass is really good, it's about twice the cost of the winchester stuff I use here.

#6 ·
Yeah, we can get Lee stuff down here. Once I run out of the winchester stuff, I'm going to buy 120 peices of Lapua Brass.

Im thinking about either one of the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 or the Wonder Optics 4-14x50. I'd prefer to have the target turrents thats are on the Wonder scope. Just dont know yet.

#8 ·
yeah thats its, especially on the range it makes life easier for when adjusting and zeroing the rifle.

#9 ·
SemperFi said:
Wow, that is a really good price for ammo. For premium stuff in the US, such as Federal Gold Medal Match ammo, it's about $40 (US Dollars)!

I use reloading equipment made by Lee Precision. It's very good stuff for a very good price. It might look "cheap" compaired to something like RCBS, but it is reliable, and will produce very nice reloads. I'm not sure if you would be able to get that stuff down there or not.

Lapua brass is really good, it's about twice the cost of the winchester stuff I use here.
SemperFi you need to do some better shopping around. I purchased 200 rounds of FGMM for $189 off gunbroker.

#10 ·
MAN, thats a really good price!!!!!!! Over here in australia, it would be around the AU$50 mark for 20rds I think. We dont see it much over here.

#11 ·
Boone said:
SemperFi said:

SemperFi you need to do some better shopping around. I purchased 200 rounds of FGMM for $189 off gunbroker.
Yes, you are correct Boone, I was reffering more to the store bought stuff... such as from Gander Mountain. I buy stuff on Gunbroker as well, you can find some nice deals on brass and all kinds of stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.