Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck in between these three rifles. I'm getting a .308 regardless of the model, however am pressed between the different stocks, barrel lengths, etc. Any advice? I've heard mixed things about each model (free floating becoming a problem with accuracy, etc.)

I'd be using the gun mainly for range and deer hunting.

So, I'd like to get anyone's input on which gun you find to be more effective.

Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well first off - no on the VTR, it's not even an option in my opinion. I don't buy into fads, I'm a meat and potato guy.

So it really comes down to teh Tac and Varmit. They're both 1 in 12 so it really comes down to barrel. I personally don't like 1-n-12 so I would buy the cheapest one and rebarrel it.

Having said all that, I'd pick the Tac - it's a shorter barrel (which I don't like), but it's pillar bedded so it's the best out of the box accuracy. This one will get it done on the range and out in the field. You may never need to customize the SPS Tactical, it just may fit the bill for what you're looking for.

So if your not going to customize it go for the Tac. If you are going to customize it then get the cheapest one you can get and start customizing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are going to get the tactical then I would say get the Tactical AAC-SD since it has a 1:10 twist barrel which is also threaded. First thing you do when you get it is toss the stock and install a good aluminum block bedded stock like a HS Precision or Bell & Carlson. The Tactical is an absolute tack driver. Of the three you ask about I think it is obvious which would be my choice.

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^^ +1

For sure 1-n-10 = the only way to go

·
Registered
52 Posts
So what is the major perceivable difference 1:10 and 1:12?

I will chime in that I purchased the SPS Varmint recently and love it as an inexpensive shooting platform. So far I have seen groups of just under 3/4" at 100 yards with FGMM 168s. I agree that the Tac is a "better" rifle with it's higher end stock, but as I said in my build thread, I plan to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
277 Posts
45K20E4 said:
So what is the major perceivable difference 1:10 and 1:12?

Well, since you asked:

I have to use the 175 SMK HPBT when I shoot 7.62X51 NATO (.308) because that's what I'm required to be proficient with. This heavy round really needs the 1n10 to stabalize itself. It needs the extra spin, the 1n12 doesn't provide enough.

Now if you are using, say a 168, or lighter than 175, then you can go with the 1n12 and not suffer. The lighter rounds do very well with the 1n12 but not so well with 1n10. Too much rotation is not a good thing.

So if you want to use lighter faster rounds go 1n12, if you want heavier rounds go 1n10.

So the short answer is this - it is a difference of bullet weight and spin and distance and stability etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That makes perfect sense.

Lucky for me I have no requirements. :D
With that luxury, I am finding the 168s are excellent with my 1:12. Can't wait to start reloading.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Right on, those should also be faster too.

My next rifle (just for fun) is going to be .243 (or something close) so I can have a lightening fast round that i can send down range to 1000 meters!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts