Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
curious on you thoughts on the 20" barrels.
I have seen a lot on here but i thought the longer barrels were the way to go?

seen these?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/42070-55.html

i just took in a 700 PSS 308 in 26".....did i do wrong.......buyer remorse....

have been looking over badger ord. tact knobs and their breaks and the the other one?..ronale?...

just looking for input once again......wondering if i should have saved a few bucks here and went 20"......can the barrel be cut down?

thanks in adavance.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Vicmm, your going to be very happy with your purchase either length it's still a rem 700 :). I have a 20 inch heavy barrel and it shoots great. I like the ease of transport and maneuvering.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frank was that for me?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just wanted someting a bit more than a .223....probably will be used for target shooting..hoping to find a place that one can shoot over 100 yrds...not a lot of long ranges around me....open fields yes.......,..if i like shooting it..it may get for used for some recreationn hunting too...once the right loads are found.

I had been loking at the SPS Taticals in 20" on cheaper than dirt...everyone i talked ot around me said 20" no good ...loose accuracy and velocity....to maximize the potential of the 308 go with 26".

thats all really...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
vincmm said:
just wanted someting a bit more than a .223....probably will be used for target shooting..hoping to find a place that one can shoot over 100 yrds...not a lot of long ranges around me....open fields yes.......,..if i like shooting it..it may get for used for some recreationn hunting too...once the right loads are found.

I had been loking at the SPS Taticals in 20" on cheaper than dirt...everyone i talked ot around me said 20" no good ...loose accuracy and velocity....to maximize the potential of the 308 go with 26".

thats all really...

That is a false statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for closer range the 20" is actually more accurate because of the fact that the barrel is stiffer than a 26". The only thing you loose with a 20" is velocity. Which comes out to about 20 FPS per inch of barrel.

But you got yourself a nice stick buddy :) you cant go wrong with a 700P in 26 inch barrel. You can easily get to 1000 yards with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i grew up with a military step dad who happened to be a firearms dealer. weekends were spent cleaning and testing just about anything that had a firing pin. so here 20 years later i just bought my first rifle. yes thats right my first rifle ever. after much debating and comparing, i had decided on a Benelli R-1 ,270 or .308......until i held the 700 .308 with the 20" bull barrel that is. then it was game over. Now i'm looking for a modest muzzle brake, a stabile and reliable tri, and i'm open for suggestions. thanks!!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Damian said:
i grew up with a military step dad who happened to be a firearms dealer. weekends were spent cleaning and testing just about anything that had a firing pin. so here 20 years later i just bought my first rifle. yes thats right my first rifle ever. after much debating and comparing, i had decided on a Benelli R-1 ,270 or .308......until i held the 700 .308 with the 20" bull barrel that is. then it was game over. Now i'm looking for a modest muzzle brake, a stabile and reliable tri, and i'm open for suggestions. thanks!!
Here is a break that will clamp on to your rifle that I currently run on my rifle and love it!

http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=822

As for bipod a Harris will do more than justice for shooting and hunting. Size variation will change based on what you need it for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
Damian said:
Here is a break that will clamp on to your rifle that I currently run on my rifle and love it!

http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=822

As for bipod a Harris will do more than justice for shooting and hunting. Size variation will change based on what you need it for.
I second both of these recommendations. I have the Harris swivel tripod now and a Roedale muzzle brake on order.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I emailed Roedale last night for price qoute in US funds.....is the clamp ons a self installation or gun smith required?...i guess those that have installed can answer perhaps...other option is BO thread on??

·
Registered
403 Posts
vincmm said:
I emailed Roedale last night for price qoute in US funds.....is the clamp ons a self installation or gun smith required?...i guess those that have installed can answer perhaps...other option is BO thread on??
The break from Roedale (C21.5 for .308 SPS Tac) is a clamp on DIY. Have one on order since 28 Jan 2011 and waiting for the breaks 4 to 6 week delivery time. If Winxp_Man sez it works and fits good believe him. Here is a linkey to his videos.......

http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=968

Cant wait for the delivery of this break! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The break from Roedale (C21.5 for .308 SPS Tac) is a clamp on DIY. Have one on order since 28 Jan 2011 and waiting for the breaks 4 to 6 week delivery time. If Winxp_Man sez it works and fits good believe him. Here is a linkey to his videos.......

:D
looking on Roedale site....C21.5 ... or....C21 ?
have long stick? not tatical model?...26" barrel?

as of today no response....is the turn around slow due to coming from Germany?

tried another email today.....what was your final cost price w/ shipping?.....site has 19% tax too?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Winxp_Man said:
you would want a 21 not a 21.5

thanks.....have a caliper need to check just for peace of mind i guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts