Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm popping my 700rifle.com cherry and it's about damn time. For about the last week I've been drooling over the pictures of the custom 700's and trying to decifer which set up is within my budget and still gets me a QUALITY boom stick. I'm new to the community of long range shooting so I'm not expecting to buy a sweet setup and run out and shoot 1000 yards. I'm comfortable with buying a good setup and easing into the 800-1000 plus yard shots. So before I bore anyone here's what I have in mind.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 - $546 shipped, no tax
Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 - $189 tax and shipping $220 plus or minus
EGW Remington 700 Picatinny Rail Tactical Scope Mount - Short Action 20 MOA, Black $42.00 - tax and shipping $50 plus or minus
Burris 1" Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings Matte Medium - $51.95 - tax and shipping $60 plus or minus
BlackHawk Hawktex Tactical Ambidextrous Rifle Cheek Rest Fixed Stock Rifle Nylon Black - $26 tax and shipping $40 plus or minus

So for a little over $900, I feel like I would have a QUALITY rifle without alot of money wrapped up into it.

The Rifle was an easy choice, ton's of great review's, good history and well... you guys seem to have a passion for this rifle and passion isnt always easy to find.
The scope on the other hand I'm still unsure about. After more than 2 weeks of research I keep going back to the 3200 10x40 because of the price and I have not found a genuine bad review of it. I do deer hunt so I've also looked at the 3200 5-15x40. It's 2x as much but could bennifit my needs more.
The scope rings and rail - Alot of guys on here building similarly to myself, (on a budget) have got the advise to go with these two products. That's my only opinion of these two products although, I'm a little partial to "burris" products.
When it comes to a cheek rest, something comfortable, affordable and without alot of research in this area, I found a $25 rest.

I think you have a good idea of what I'm looking to do and what I have in mind. Any and all comments are welcome, good or bad!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
buds guns sell the SPS Varmint for 536 shipped last time I looked and a 409 dollar mail rebate for the SPS series and i think this is gtg until the end of December. so you will come out to 496 shipped home. The only other feature I would worry about is the stock. for 800-1000 yards that stock will not do you justice. I would hunt down a HS take down for about 200 bucks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Still looking for one of those stocks...
You'll have a pretty good setup though. I would spend a bit more and get some good glass that will get you out to 14 or 15 power for the longer shots. It helps a lot for distance shooting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts