Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, I have a few questions. I have had a few rem 700's over the years but this is my first SPS in .308. My rifle is supposed to be a special run varmint with fluted 20" tactical barrel with 1 in 10" twist. It has the beavertail stock but the barrel seems to contact the stock, shouldn't it be free floated in this stock? Also, I have sighted it in and the Federal 180gr power-shok is the one I've picked out for hunting. Can anyone tell me what they've had best accuracy with out of this twist/length barrel for benchrest and hunting. I've read alot of posts on here about different stocks, I shoot out to 300 yds at the most, is a stock change gonna make that much of a improvement in accuracy at that distance? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
With 1/10 twist anything from 168 or 175 should be a sweet spot.

My 20" 1/10 loves 168 Sierra match kings (factory load) but doesn't like the 175 gr Sierra match kings (factory).

I hand load so I avoided this problem with the heavier round but it's alot of trial and error.

I've never heard of a fluted 20" but I would want as much weight as possible with such a short barrel.

Depending on what brand stock you have it may be worth just glass bedding it or getting a new one all together

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. It's a factory Rem varmint stock. The fluted barrel was a special run from what I've heard. I liked it lighter because I'll be walking through the woods with it, recoils not bad on the bench.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
With the 1-10 you can go even up in the 200gr bullets. Velocity might be low because of the short barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts