Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm new to the forum been kinda looking around for the past week. I've been doing some research about the SPS Varmint and am wondering what kinda accuracy are yall getting with this rifle? I know Remingtons are known for their accuracy outta the box but the down sides I've heard are about the stocks mainly. I also would like to see some setups and what loads yall are shooting. The main reason I'm looking towards buying this rifle is because I'm a lefty lol.....ALTHO I have shot right handed everything all my life I would just like one rifle truely built for me and also I want to do a budget project build. I would like to see the rifle progress which I would cheerish it more. About a year and half ago my dad and I went in together and purchased a Remmy 5R Milspec and building our own loads, we have enjoyed the time spent with each other a hobby we both enjoy. Any info and help in the future would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Appears you have done your research on the rifle. I found the same complaints regarding the stock when I did my research. However, since I planned to use the stock of MY choosing, it didn't influence my purchase. Mine was purchased back in May, during Remington's spring rebate event (paid just over $500 total after rebate). It is a .308 Win, and from the start I intended for it to be a project rifle.

So far I have installed a Blackhawk one-piece scope rail, Millett rings and a Harris bipod. It had a Nikon 3-9x40mm Buckmaster that I scavenged off another rifle, but I am upgrading to a 6-18x Nikon instead. I ordered a Richards Microfit Laminate target thumbhole stock that will be pillar and glasbed. It is by no means a field stock, but that is not my focus of this rifle. The new stock is not here yet (custom build requires 6-8 wk lead time) but even with the OEM stock I am thoroughly impressed with the rifles out of box performance. With Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr ammo ($18/bx at Palmetto Armory) I am putting down sub 3/4" groups at 100yrds. I plan to load for it later, but for now I am focusing on the build.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hopefully you have better luck in the Remington you get than i did. i had alot of trouble properly mounting my scope and such. went as far as sending the rifle to Remington, which they outsourced, for them to tell me the rifle was fine but don't quite believe them. common problems with the 700 receiver is the scope mounting holes are misaligned and the rear of the receiver is out of round. anyways here's my SPS-V in 308, B&C A2 stock, Seeking base and rings and Vortex 6.5-20x50 scope. i also fire lapped the barrel with the Tubbs kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys...Both rifles really look great! I'm looking at getting a HS precision stock cause they have a left handed varmint model that is kinda like the police. I would really like a M40 A series stock but I'm having a hard time finding a left handed model or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. A stock is all that I really plan on changing out to be honest, I'm not trying to go fancy or anything just effective because I will use this for hunting, target shooting and long range (mainly out to 600 yards thats all I have) point is this rifle will see alot of field time and eventually I will upgrade things here and there. Priorities are first this which is the RIFLE then scope and stock...Do yall think a 165gr would be fine with the 1:12 twist rate? I know 168's are the average shot outta that twist rate but would 3gr make that much of difference?

·
Registered
173 Posts
McMillan makes an M40A1 in lefty form.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-tactical-stock-list.php#m40a1

You're looking at between $400-500, so it depends on your budget. The HS Precision stocks are real nice too. Did you check out www.stockysstocks.com?

As for the 165gr bullet, I've never shot one out of mine personally, but I have shot 150gr and 168gr out of my 1:12, and they both are superbly accurate. I stick with the 168s because it's what I know, and for reloading I can get a box of 100 for $10-15 of either the Sierra Match Kings or the Hornady Match bullets in 168gr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the info on the stocks. As far as the 165's its Sierra's BTHP Game King I have a load made up for the 5R Milspec and my best group at 100 yards was a ragged hole...so maybe it's just something I need to play around with once I get my rifle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Etkini said:
As for the 165gr bullet, I've never shot one out of mine personally, but I have shot 150gr and 168gr out of my 1:12, and they both are superbly accurate. I stick with the 168s because it's what I know, and for reloading I can get a box of 100 for $10-15 of either the Sierra Match Kings or the Hornady Match bullets in 168gr.
Where are you getting 168 SMKs for $15?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts