700Rifle.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone I'm new to using forums and hope I out this in right spot...

I have a 700 SPS TACTICAL 308 with a 16.5" threaded barrel...I will be shooting out to 800 yards and as close as 50-100 yards so with my limited knowledge and reading I've done I went with

Leupold VX-R Riflescope, 3-9x40mm, FireDot Duplex Illuminated Reticle

WEAVER TACTICAL RING 6 HOLE LOW 30MM MOUNT

WEAVER TACTICAL BASE REMINGTON SA 20MOA

My question is will I be able to zero at 50 yards or even 100 yards? The scope has 60 MOA adjustment range. Or will I have to zero at a further distance?

I've been reading as much as I can but its getting overwhelming and to the point I'm overloading and confusing myself (not hard for a rusty disabled Marine)...but I appreciate any help or advice I am given

Regards
CC

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
According to Leupold this scope has 60MOA of total adjustment in elevation. 30 up and 30 down if everything is centered properly in the assembly. You should be able to Zero at least at 100 yards. Unless I'm sighting in a CQB weapon like an AR with a reflex or holographic site I never bother with a 50 yard zero. At that range your bullet is about an inch lower than your line of sight so just "hold under" an appropriate amount, if you really want to. You won't miss if your rifle is zeroed at 100 yards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you much sir for you help and advice..👍

I also have my MP15OR zeroed @50 yards with a Bushnell Trophy Tactical MP x2 optic, it has worked well for me thus far..absolutely love that setup and reminds me of all the years I had with the M16A2 in the Corp..although I had nothing but iron sights to qualify with annually on the M16A2, probably why I'm not a bad shot these days..🔫😋

So essentially it's a waste of time/ammo to zero my 700 SPS @50 yards as long as I zero it @100 yards and this is due to line of sight with bullet trajectory being all I need at the distance of 50 yards...makes sense to me I believe..😋

Also with my 700 SPS At 50-100 yards I was initially worried that I wouldnt have enough MOA elevation adjustability with the weaver 20moa rail and a total of 60 MOA adjustability on my scope to zero so thank you for clearing that up sir...👍

Glad I found this this forum ...it's the first forum I've ever joined and I've read so much useful info so far from all you knowledgeable members so thank you again...

Regards
CC

According to Leupold this scope has 60MOA of total adjustment in elevation. 30 up and 30 down if everything is centered properly in the assembly. You should be able to Zero at least at 100 yards. Unless I'm sighting in a CQB weapon like an AR with a reflex or holographic site I never bother with a 50 yard zero. At that range your bullet is about an inch lower than your line of sight so just "hold under" an appropriate amount, if you really want to. You won't miss if your rifle is zeroed at 100 yards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts