Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and have a question. I would like to take a stainless 700 with a semi polished or smoothfinish and give it a bead blast finish that looks like remingtons factory bead blast finish.Is this possible or is the metal to smooth to start with? If possible what media and pressure would I use? Thanks for any help with this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I looked around the web a little melroe, but couldn't find much info. Here is a paragraph from an article by Nathan Foster:

Once I had the barreled actions home, I set about blasting the barrels and doing the bedding, both jobs usually done by True-Flite. I'm glad I had a chance to blast the True-Flite barrels. On the True-Flite website it stated that their barrels were made from an incredibly tough 416R steel. What an understatement, I have blasted a good many barrels over the years using glass bead with 80psi at the gun but even with new bead, my blasting barely altered the polished finish of the barrel. I was absolutely gob smacked at the toughness of the two barrels. Standard glass bead left a smooth opaque finish while Garnet produced the more typical blasted look as found on Remington stainless rifles.

Good Luck on your quest and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
melroe123 said:
Must be the secret no one knows
I just bead blasted my latest basket case 700 project yesterday in preparation for a Gun Kote finish. I used medium aluminum oxide media from Brownell's and 90 psi of pressure with a med/small nozzle in the bench top blast cabinet. I was not trying to match the stock Rem texture but it was darn close. I would think that one step finer of media would do the trick.

Good Luck! and post pics when your done!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts