Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Rem 700 short action/standard bolt face, action. I'm going to true it up and probably build myself another 6.5 Creedmoor match rifle. Looking to pick up another one for my Dad to build him a match rifle also. Vegas50 and I have been looking for actions or rifles to cannibalize. We will be spending a lot of time in his garage during the hot, hot summer here in Las Vegas.

Once I start truing it up I'll decided if I'm going to use the stock bolt or set it aside and order one up from PTG. I'm in no hurry, were waiting on some key components to arrive. Barrels should be here soon and since I don't believe I'll have to re-barrel my current match rifle anytime soon I should have a spare for this build.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I might try a 6.5 Creedmoor one day..... How you like it from other cartridges you have shot or messed with. Maybe send me a PM with your thought on it. I have a friend that I talked to out of Missouri and told him that this would be a really nice SA round.

Thanks for any info Joe.

Aron-

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love the round but you have to remember my purposes are mainly practical rifle matches/ target shooting. Its easy to load for and Hornady has really done most of the work for you. The 6.5 mm projectiles are very slippery through the air and offer great wind bucking ability. The ballistics are similar to .300 Win Mag with out the long action and recoil. You really can't go wrong with 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua and .260 Remington. We have found that barrel life is excellent for a 6.5 mm caliber with a moderate load. Vegas50 and I have had a good amount of strong finishes with it in matches and if you look at a lot of national match finishes you hardly see .308's up there. Everything is pretty much won by 6mm's and 6.5mm's.

As far as hunting goes just do a quick youtube search and you'll see all kinds of game harvested with it. I know a video is floating around of a hunter dropping an ELK at 600 yards with one. Of course results will vary depending on who is driving the rifle. Match bullet selection is excellent and hunting bullet selection is getting larger and larger. People have been killing mouse size game in Europe for many years with 6.5mm cartridges specifically the 6.5x55mm.

Beats .308 Win (flatter shooting, fights the wind better)
Beats .300 WM (less recoil and uses a short action)
7mm mag has excellent ballistics but still you need a long action and the recoil puts you at a disadvantage in certain matches/stages. Mover stages comes to mind when I think of magnums vs. efficient short action 6's/6.5's

So my experience has been if your going to get serious about competition shooting unless its something like F-Class T/R ditch the 7.62's and get yourself a 6mm or 6.5mm. Plenty of good ones to pick from. I really couldn't tell you much about hunting with one because I haven't killed anything but steel targets with mine but if shot placement is everything than...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well I will always play with a .308 just a nice round to mess with. I will tell my buddy this info and also thanks on my behalf because I will most likely 100% have this round as another addition to the ones that I already have. As for purpose I dont see the 6.5 having issues in any departments of shooting at all. Thanks again Joe.

Aron-

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have long been a fan of the 6.5 caliber having started my shooting with an old Swede 6.5X55. My current 6.5 is a 700 Remington Classic in 6.5X55 and with handloads, it's a wonderful cartridge.

I've been thinking about building a 6.5X47 Lapua for a long range rifle and chose the Lapua over the Creedmoor because of the small rifle primer and Lapua brass but for tactical shooting the Creedmoor probably has an edge. In a single shot bench rifle I think the 6.5X47 Lapua has the edge.

At any rate, the 6.5 bullet selection beats the 30 calibers hands down. It's all about BC when you want to go past 600 yards. No sense beating yourself up with a 338 when a 6.5 will have the same drop and wind drift.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
jerrschmitt said:
I have long been a fan of the 6.5 caliber having started my shooting with an old Swede 6.5X55. My current 6.5 is a 700 Remington Classic in 6.5X55 and with handloads, it's a wonderful cartridge.

I've been thinking about building a 6.5X47 Lapua for a long range rifle and chose the Lapua over the Creedmoor because of the small rifle primer and Lapua brass but for tactical shooting the Creedmoor probably has an edge. In a single shot bench rifle I think the 6.5X47 Lapua has the edge.

At any rate, the 6.5 bullet selection beats the 30 calibers hands down. It's all about BC when you want to go past 600 yards. No sense beating yourself up with a 338 when a 6.5 will have the same drop and wind drift.

I wouldn't say the 338 because if you do Extreme long range then the edge is 338. The 300 WM now can be a caliber that can be switched for with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

·
Registered
526 Posts
According to my ballistic program, the .338 Lapua shooting the 300 Gr. Sierra Match King has a 1000 yard performance of:

Drop 10 MPH Wind
25 1/4 Minutes 4 3/4 Minutes

The 6.5X47 Lapua loaded with 139 gr lapua Scenars

Drop 10 MPH wind
24 1/3 Minutes 5 1/2

So the 6.5 is flatter and only looses 3/4 minutes of wind.

If you shoot the 250 SMK in the .338 you get:

drop wind
26.5 minutes 6 1/4

If I was sooting people I'd want the 338 but for target or varmints the 6.5 MM will do just fine.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
This is what I got with the Sierra Ballistic program.

Trajectory for Lapua .338 dia. 250 gr. HPBT Scenar at 3000 Feet per Second
At an Elevation Angle of: 0 degrees
Ballistic Coefficients of: 0.675 0.675 0.675 0.675 0.675
Velocity Boundaries (Feet per Second) of: 2000 2000 2000 2000
Wind Direction is: 3.0 o'clock and a Wind Velocity of: 10.0 Miles per hour
Wind Components are (Miles per Hour): DownRange: 0.0 Cross Range: 10.0 Vertical: 0.0
The Firing Point speed of sound is: 1132.09 fps
The bullet does not drop below the speed within the max range specified.
Altitude: 1550 Feet Humidity: 25 Percent Pressure: 29.53 in/Hg
Temperature: 70 F
Data Printed in English Units

Distance Velocity Energy MOA Drop Inch Drop MOA Drift Inch Drift Flight Time
1000 1828.3 1855.2 -22.7 -237.92 4.8 49.82 1.2831

Trajectory for Lapua .264 dia. (6.5mm) 139 gr. Scenar at 2850 Feet per Second
At an Elevation Angle of: 0 degrees
Ballistic Coefficients of: 0.615 0.615 0.615 0.615 0.615
Velocity Boundaries (Feet per Second) of: 2400 2400 2400 2400
Wind Direction is: 3.0 o'clock and a Wind Velocity of: 10.0 Miles per hour
Wind Components are (Miles per Hour): DownRange: 0.0 Cross Range: 10.0 Vertical: 0.0
The Firing Point speed of sound is: 1132.09 fps
The bullet does not drop below the speed within the max range specified.
Altitude: 1550 Feet Humidity: 25 Percent Pressure: 29.53 in/Hg
Temperature: 70 F
Data Printed in English Units

Dist. Vel. Energy MOA Drop Inch Drop MOA Drift Inch Drift Flight Time
1000 1626.3 816.1 -26.7 -279.77 5.8 60.69 1.3975

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I do not know the exact Velocities but I took them from what was posted by other online resources. I will stand corrected if there is info that is not correct. Not trying to start any crap but just posting my findings. For a target and varmint rifle yes the 6.5 will do perfectly and not make you spend a whole load of cash. Now if I need the distance then the .338 clearly has a advantage over the 6.5 to me anyways :D

Aron-

·
Registered
526 Posts
I was using velocoties as listed in Hornady's publication. They don't get near 3000 with a 250 grain bullet. People in real life may very well.

The point of my argument is that Caliber doesn't matter. If you have two bullets with the same BC fired at the same velocity, both will have the same drop. The difference will be in the muzzle energy and, more importantly to the shooter, the recoil energy.

I don't own a 338 Lapua but I do have a 338 Win Mag. Firing 50 rounds through any 338 becomes unpleasent after a while.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I will say that just know what you really want to do with a caliber. How far you want to shoot, what you want to shoot, how much recoil you will want to get abused by. Everything has its spot and one just pick what spot they want to fill.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Then run it with a Swampworks 180gr bullet that has a BC of .735 WOW thats nuts. I want to get my 7mm mag rebarreled with a nice barrel and then a nice stock and glass then run some of these bullets. I hear they do good for ELR.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Nice, Im having a 260 rem built on a R700SA with a Kreiger #10 MTU 26" 6.5mm w/ 1-8" twist. Then going to probably build a 6x47 Lapua for 500m Fly.

How you going to stock and scope this Creedmore?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll probably put this one in my HS/Badger and put my Stiller in a McRee. As far as glass goes I'll put my NF on it and run a US Optics on the Stiller. I'm slowly going to ditch stocks and switch to chassis, I'll eventually sell the HS and the Badger bottom metal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im a little late to the party but ill chime in with regards to barrel life of the 6.5creedmoor. My LotharWalther barrel just gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago after 4400 rounds. I kept my load on the mild side since most shooting was with in 700y. This may or may not be the norm but the creedmoors do seem to last longer than .260s for the exact same performance.

Now that the lathe is in that action will turn in to a 6.5creedmoor in the near future.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I'm going to true the Remington 700 short action and use a over sized recoil lug from Badger Ordnance. The barrel is a Rock Creek match 5R 6.5mm 1-8" twist, I'm not sure what barrel length I want but I will either cut it down to 24" and thread it for a break or run it at 26" with no brake. Right now I have a stock Rem trigger in it but I will be switching that to a Jewell HVR trigger. The HS stock is temporary, I plan on using a McRee chassis for this rifle, the optic will be a US Optics SN-3 3.8-22x44mm ERGO. The stock utilizes a Badger Ordanance bottom metal and a Alpha Industries 10 round type-1 magazine.

Current match rifle, I'm going to need to re-barrel it soon. I have put 3,100 accurate rounds down range with the Shilen match barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts