Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im not completly new to the shooting world and just purchesed my first bolt action rifle a remington 700 and ive had it for a few months now and the bolt seems real stiff. For example when i shoot it and go to cycle another round it takes a little muscling to pull the lever up put is smooth pulling back and the putting a round in the chamber. My friend has a colt model 51 chambered in .243 and his is super smooth through the whole process can someone please tell me whats up wit h this?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
plus ive alread put atleast a 100 or so give or take rounds through it and its still like this at first contributed it to just needing to be broke in but beginning to think this is not the case.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Most of my new 700's seemed the same. What I do is open and close the bolt about a hundred times or so and then it gets better and smoother to open and close.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Take a look at how the bolt operates. If you look at the bolt plug it actually rides on the bolt assembly and when you lift the bolt knob to eject an empty casing it cocks the firing pin into the firing position. This is why you feel some resistance when you open the bolt. If you open the bolt without firing a round and the firing pin in the cocked position I bet the bolt opens alot smoother. Check it out....

Reactions: Matia01

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
granted it does seem to be a little easier to open empty but still feel an amout of resistance that way and after firing its alot stiffer. On top of that dosent seem to be getting any better and i have a coyote hunt next week planned for next week and god forbid i have to take that next shot in a hurry and try to get back on target cause alot of time i know will be taken up by just simply opening the bolt. i will be shooting HORNADY 168grain bullets wanted the 150s cause thats what ive been sighting it in with but when i went to buy my first box cant find any only the 168s oh well the coyote will have a fist sized hole on the exit. Should be interesting ive seen what the .308 will do in a 240B when i was in the army but those were armor pearcing bullets but still one heller round. back to the task at hand hope this only gets better with time i play with the bolt from time to time tryin to see if thats the case. I will see if this is helping on friday plan to see how thes hornady bullets shoot.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Are you using factory ammo or reloads?

·
Registered
38 Posts
This remedy is for the M-24, but I would assume it holds true for all 700s. On the bottom of the bolt when removed there is a silver catch. If you use your shoestring, or the like, to pull it back, there is a slot in the round part to slide a dime or something into. I use a dog tag. The firing pin and spring will then unscrew. Put a small amount of grease on the inside edges. Greasing that area helps the firing pin and assembly slide when rotating the bold up and "cocking" the firing pin. To put it back together the assembly is screwed all the way back in, and then back out until the notch lines back up with the grove in the bolt. Then pull back on the notch with your shoe string again remove the dime, etc. and it will snap back into place. If you do not want to take the bolt apart, the triangle area where the firing pin is moved back can be greased.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
jasonbourne said:
gun grease the bolt and work it back and forward a few times. it'll do it for ya.
+1 and make sure you work it back and forth a few times. One of my buddies got a 700 SPS 300 RUM and same issue, and I actually didn't use and lub but worked the bolt quite a few times back open close and problem solved.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See its only stiff lifting the bolt handle up and down. Sliding it back and forth to expel and load a round in the chamber seems fine its when u lock the bolt in and unlock it to begin the process to chamber another round. Plus I'm using factory 150 grain rounds to site in and 168 hornady rounds to hunt. Plus I use Lucas Gun oil on my 700 has anybody heard anything bad about this stuff I use it on my 887 that's primarily used for waterfowl hunting and seems pretty good to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This video shows how to take the bolt down without tools. At that point the internals of the bold can be cleaned and lubricated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCuY-w9Y6oY

The rifles that I have done this to have had many, many rounds through them and the springs were worked in by shooting alone so that was not the issue in my case.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this problem I'm having should go away in time with shooting? I hope so cause this sucks not being able to chamber a round as fast as I would like it to. As soon as sit quits raining or can get to an indoor range I'm gonna
video what exactly its doing and post it and see what u guys think

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was just saying that the 24s have had several thousand rounds through them, along with 10 times that many dry fires, with dummy primers, so the bolts have been locked and unlocked so many times that they are very broke in. When they stuck/were hard to operate when lifting the bolt knob to unlock the lugs and re-cock the firing pin (it was smooth still to eject the spent casing) it was because it internals of the bolt needed to be cleaned and lubed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well after every time I soot my rifle I take it all down clean it and lube it well and feel pretty confident u will find no dirt or carbon on my rifle and being in the military tought me well when it came to cleaning weapons. So I'm hoping that all my probem is that it just needs to be thoroughly broke in ever now and again I get it out and work the bolt but not feeling any change yet but hope it will. I love this rifle but this is a pain in my ass.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I see. Hopefully it is just that it is new and needs to be broken in. Best of luck.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well am real happy to report that it seems that my problem is getting better been playing with my rifle here at home and took it out and shot it yesterday and had a signifagant diffrence so im getting happier with my rifle now to get a new scope. thanks to all you guys for your help its great so many of you were willing to help out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well am real happy to report that it seems that my problem is getting better been playing with my rifle here at home and took it out and shot it yesterday and had a signifagant diffrence so im getting happier with my rifle now to get a new scope. thanks to all you guys for your help its great so many of you were willing to help out.
Loosen the front guard screw one turn and see if the bolt works easier. If it does then its rubbing on the bolt lugs and you need to remove the front guard screw and file it down until the rub goes away. Also there should be marks on the bolt lugs if the screw is contacting them. BTW, it's a good idea to use a little lube on the back of the lugs to keep them from galling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts