Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new 700 Varmint in .308 that has a camo synthetic stock. I think I would rather have a black stock and someone near me has a black ADL in 7MM mag that went the other way and would like to sell me his black stock. Would this be a simple installation - or would it require a lot of work to make it fit?

Thanks,
GP

·
Registered
173 Posts
The .308 is short action, the 7mm Mag is long action. It wouldn't work.

You'd probably be better off picking up a can of Krylon for $5 at WalMart and spraying the stock you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
I learned something on the short/long action though.

Painting would certainly be cheap - wonder how easily it would get scratched / rubbed. Of course the fix would be easy!

I just found that Cabelas has replacement stocks on sale for $50 in short & long.
Also found someone on armslist near me with a short action takeoff for only $30 - but it is olive drab.
I may just get it and if I don't like the OD just paint it...

Thanks again.
GP

·
Registered
173 Posts
Do the stocks have pillars or an aluminum block? Just out of curiosity, you might be able to find a wood stock on the cheap, and swap it out, then you can paint\stain do whatever you want with it.

I assume it would be a lot sturdier than a plastic stock (free floating the barrel), which would help you in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts