700Rifle.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are you guys recommending for ridged cases for your tactical rifles? Looks like the Pelican's and Storms that have interior dimensions large enough are all wheeled cases and are running from OpticsPlanet about $240.00 or so. There are ones (with oversized interiors) on Bullets.com from Bald Eagle for about $90.00. Not looking for something to ship through the airlines, just something to hold everything going to the range.

Thanks, Bob

https://www.bullets.com/products/Gun-Case-13-x-59-/BE1172
http://shop.opticsplanet.com/pelica...-wheels.html?gclid=CNe4joymgMcCFYGRHwod3EEO3Q

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
For my long barreled "tactical" rifles I am now using cases from Cabela's. Made by "Boyt", don't use the egg-crate foam so you can cut to fit your rifle along with cutouts for "essentials". I prefer the double rifle size because I then have plenty of room for a 56MM Objective lens'd scope and a whole lot of "essentials". The single rifle cases in this line are a little cramped for my large rifles.

The "double" is regularly $199 but I wait until they're on sale for $149. They are great cases and appear to be even stronger than an SKB case I bought a half dozen years ago for $100 more.

Cabela's Armor Xtreme Molded Double Long-Gun Hard Case : Cabela's

If you don't mind a smaller case the singles are only $99 regular price.

Since Cabela's has sales on these cases frequently just keep your eyes open.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I like cutting out the foam too and usually replace and of the Egg Crate type with solid. Just watched the video on OpticsPlanet showing how they suggest that you do it. I now have to get myself a cheap electric knife. Looks like it made it really easy. I wish there was a Cabela's closer to me, but I do have over $100.00 in Cabela's Bucks so I will watch for the sales. The one advantage I see in the Bald Eagle case is that it is 53" internally.

Cheers, Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
CASE RS CRP.jpg

http://www.opticsplanet.com/plano-molding-aw-double-scoped-riflecase.html

Bought three of the Plano Long, Double Rifle Wheeled cases on sale at OpticsPlanet for $115.95 each with free shipping. Plenty of room for one large rifle, large scope and accessories. This is a 28 1/2" Barrel and a 3 inch Bench Rest forend. My new Custom Shop 40XB is going in one as well as my .308 PDC Chassis rifle. These have as good internal dimensions as the Plano 1750 for a lot more money and the intermediate foam is pre-scored for easy customization without using a hot wire, razor blade or electric knife.

Next modification will be cut outs for my range book for this rifle, 50 rounds of ammo in a Lapua Case, a Dewey 44" Rod and the associated bore guide.

Bob

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Next modification will be cut outs for my range book for this rifle, 50 rounds of ammo in a Lapua Case, a Dewey 44" Rod and the associated bore guide.

Bob
I too keep my cleaning rod in the case. A slit in the foam for the rod with a cutout for the handle keeps it nice and snug. I also have a "fishing lure box" that holds brushes, jags, mops, and a supply of patches, secured in a vacant part of the foam. This keeps all of my rifle/caliber specific items with the weapon that needs them.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a small snap case for my jags and brushes, nylon and bronze, as well as my round count / ranging book and a 50 round Lapua loaded round box. Next is to build my range box. I picked up a nice large, heavy plastic, lockable, box at Tractor Supply and it will house in one lower section my rest, bags and in the upper portion, shooting supplies like Hearing Protection, Shooting Glasses etc. while in the other half, the lower section will include all my cleaning fluids and oils as well as patches. Above that on a lift out shelf will hold my Range Loading Press, a scale, loading block, dies and other loading supplies to load on the range.

Bob

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm thinking about a case like this, I'm wondering about long term storage in this type of case.
Does the foam 'hold' moisture? Would a 'desiccant' pack solve it if it does? Or would it be better to use it for just transport?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm thinking about a case like this, I'm wondering about long term storage in this type of case.
Does the foam 'hold' moisture? Would a 'desiccant' pack solve it if it does? Or would it be better to use it for just transport?
Foam will hold moisture and I never long term store any gun in a case. I store in silicone gun sock in safe and only use case for travel and short storage (hunting trips).
Gave my brother a Berreta 92F pistol and he stored it in the foam lined gun case in his small safe with only desiccant packs and 8 weeks later found rust on every place the pistol made contact with foam.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I only use pelican cases. Currently mine is set up for my AR-15 and my Remington 870 but I’m about to order some new foam to fit the Remington 870 and Remington 700 in there.

The AR-15 and M&P 15-22 will stay in my tactical double bag until I can acquire another Pelican case and have the foam laser cut to both rifles and scopes plus mags.

I already had a Plano once before and it was terrible quality. The case latches all fell off and the case cracked in several places.

Pic is my current pelican case.
33C60F78-9F4B-41A7-BA95-28F48DC9D514_1612317703963.jpeg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting, I have 5 of these cases and never had a latch or cracking problem. I use metal cases though when I ship an expensive firearm.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking of buying Plano Long, Double Rifle Wheeled cases because I saw them on sale last time on their website. Good to have seen it recommended here. Maybe I should get it for myself too?

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have bought them on Amazon on sale for as low as $89.95, which is a real bargain as compared to other suppliers for the same case and especially as compared to other brands.

I do not keep my cases where the foam would pick up any moisture, so I have not had that problem. I think if you were to leave the case say in a cold car over a hunting trip, you might get moisture in the foam and I would let it dry out really well prior to using it for any storage. My cases are all in a Conditioned Gun room, so never had the issue.

I do keep most of my guns in silicon socks and the guns I use all the time are on racks in the gun room.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts