700Rifle.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock Rem 700 P .308 and have trouble ejecting rounds. The spent cartridge develops a concentric ridge on the casing. There is a visible concentric effect in the camber. What could have caused this? I have not visited a gunsmith yet but was hoping to gain insight as to the cause.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a stock Rem 700 P .308 and have trouble ejecting rounds. The spent cartridge develops a concentric ridge on the casing. There is a visible concentric effect in the camber. What could have caused this? I have not visited a gunsmith yet but was hoping to gain insight as to the cause.
Factory or reloaded .308? Sounds like reloads, you have a serious high pressure problem (PSI), is the bolt stiff to lift to open bolt. If reloads sounds/seems cases have concentric ridge line usually appears around the base of the case due to high pressure and/or weak case rim from resizing. Do not Shoot, if you have bullet puller pull bullet and weigh the charge. If you can see a defect in the chamber that's alarming with out a bore scope, you need to visit a gunsmith for the safety. If this is a new 700 police .308 timing sucks, factory shut down.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Can you post a picture of what you are getting? I agree with Mayor that it sounds like a pressure issue if the cases are getting stuck after firing.

If they are factory rounds, measure the case length and compare it to unfired rounds in case you have a head space issue.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only factory loads three different brands, Nosler, Federal, and Winchester. The issue started with Winchester.
This is the last fired case. The case takes considerable effort to the bolt to remove the spent case. Just measured the spent case, .008 larger.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
429 Posts
Spent case is .008 longer to clarify. Thanks for the info.
Is this a new rifle and original problem, new rifle with newly developed problem, old rifle with new problem?
Any problems chambering rounds?
Verify that .008 growth is overall cartridge length?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doom, old rifle (400 rds) new problem. No issues chambering the round. Last trip 4 of 10 rounds stuck, and noticed the ridge on the spent round. Overall case length measurement is .008.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Is there a concentric ridge and an elogation? Sounds like two different things.

First, get a chamber brush and really clean out your chamber, then find a friend with a bore scope or a local smith and have the chamber looked at. If for some reason you developed an area in the chamber (a concentric ridge and not overall case expansion) that is worn and is allowing the case to expand in that one area then the balance of the brass, it would be very hard to extract the case. Have you used any cleaning solutions using high concentrations of ammonia? Is this a carbon steel receiver or a stainless steel receiver?

Most Remingtons have been produced with Sammi spec chambers to insure that all commercial ammo will fit in the chamber and to keep the gun safe against excess pressures that could be caused by JAM, the projectile being jammed into the rifling. My Parker Hal 1200 has a tight chamber and not excessive free bore and with its twist it is great for .30 caliber projectiles up to 180 grainers, but 200s are tight do to the length of the projectile and anything over that once in the chamber with the bolt fully closed, would pull the case away from the projectile and leave it in the rifling if you tried to extract it. I found that out once the hard way.

In any case, with the kind of throat (free bore) that factory rifles like the 700 have, case expansion in length is pretty normal and it is hard to understand why that would make the fired round hard to extract. A smith should have a go/no go gauge to so you can check head space.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
429 Posts
Ditto the cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
That may be just the reflection on the brass of how he took the picture.

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts