Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum.
I have a 700SPS Varmint in .223 that shoots 5/8" groups right out of the box, with no special barrel break-in having been done.

I recently bought a new 700SPS Tactical in .308, though, and it is giving me problems.
First, it seems to have no where near the accuracy of the other rifle, shooting maybe 2" at 100 yds.
The main problem is this though: fired cases often stick in the chamber, so tight that trying to remove them with the bolt
results in the extractor slipping right off the rim. I end up having to hammer them out with a cleaning rod.
The rifle has under 200 rounds through it, and this has happened with commercial ammo as well as milsurp.
Yesterday it happened with some Austrian Hirtenberger that I tried. 2 out of 8 rounds fired had this happen.

I have wondered if this rifle has a rough chamber, and that is causing the problem.

Does anyone else have any ideas, or suggestions as to how I remedy the problem?

Thanks,

UM

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but how well did you clean it prior to firing it? Oil, solvent, or any other substance in the chamber can elevate the chamber pressures greatly. That alone could contribute to the case walls doing some strange things. Check your chamber for cleanliness, then check the metal surface itself. I hope this helps you out, let us know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts