Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what the steps are to getting one. for many reasons.

i'm sure in varies by state, but i'm thinking there's some sort license you have to obtain to get one (class III maybe?) i read somewhere that you needed a good list of reasons you wanted it when you go apply for it. but i cant remember where i found that.

i know they're expensive, but i have a welder and a bunch of other metal fabbing tools, so i have no doubt that i could make one.

i know i could just make one anyhow, but i'd like to do it legally.

·
Registered
131 Posts
To obtain one you would want to find a Type 3 FFL holder near you who can legaly receive a suppresor and transfer it to you. The transfer usually entails a set of finger prints, 2 passport type photos and typically a signature from the local LEO Chief (and some $$$ too). Then the BATF requires a Form 4 completed and subimt with $200.00 and the items listed above. Then you wait and wait and wait until you get your pretty little tax stamp back. A good Type 3 dealer will walk you through the entire process though.
You can also set up an NFA Trust to bypass the prints, pics and sig but that's a whole other topic. :)
But, if you're interested you can check out this forum http://nfatalk.org/forum/

You would need a Type 7 FFL with class 2 tax stamp to make your own suppressor, then submit BATF Form 1 for approval to manufacture the suppressor.

Good luck! Once you've gone through the process one time it's less daunting.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, that's actually a lot less work than i thought it would be.

thanks for the info denver!

·
Registered
131 Posts
You're welcome.

The waiting is the worst part or if you have a LEO that won't sign off. But if you have a LEO that won't sign off you go the NFA Trust route.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have heard (from friends) North Carolina is not so friendly when it comes to suppressors. One friend told me he submitted the paperwork, and was denied. He was in the Marines for 8 years and has been a county deputy sheriff for 6 years..

He said he then resubmitted it using "For all lawful purposes as per NC GS 14-288.8 - Scientific Research & Development.". as his reason, and it was approved.

It's something to look into, for sure. Especially read #4.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-288.8.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good afternoon,

I have just submitted my paperwork. The easiest way is to set up a trust. I live in Texas and it took all of about 30 minutes. Go to Quicken Will Maker online, purchase the software for download ($35), install and it comes with access to online Trust Maker. I went through the steps for my state which were really easy and then took the printed document and had it notarized. Here in Texas you do not have to register it with any government entity. I then ordered the suppressor from a local dealer who gave me all the necessary forms and an envelope to send off to ATF along with a copy of my Trust. Now I wait for 2-4 months.

No law enforcement approval, fingerprint cards, or pictures required with this route. Hope it's that easy for you as well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i like your way topcat, i'll have to look into that. first, i need to see if my local gun shop has a class 3 FFL. i need to start saving some dough too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Saving money? Not sure I understand the concept. :) Nothing inexpensive about this hobby for sure. Money can't buy joy but it sure can buy a lot of fun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Getting anything that is Class III is really slow now. I filed paperwork for 2 suppressors around the 1st of May and my Class 3 guy told me, "See you about December, or so." Yep, BATFE is taking an average of 7 months to process paperwork that should take someone about 15 minutes. I can do a 4173 and a NICS Check for a customer in 10 minutes, and I can't be that much more of a process. Someone is screwing the pooch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It would be a great accessory to have, but here in NJ i might as well stop dreaming. Bad enough it takes me 3 months to get a hand gun permit :/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts