Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased my 700 .308 SPS Varmint. I have the Redfield Battlezone scope arriving this week sometime and while I was at Gander Mtn I asked about the tactical base. He recommended the weaver 2 piece rather than the 1 piece for the base. I asked why and he said about some of the rounds may hit the base and travel back to cause a misfeed for the next round. I've seen pics of both and more have the single piece and to be honest it looks more radical but function means everything to me. Can I get some opinions and stories of your experience in this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bump! I was wondering the same. With the two piece ( I would think) you wouldn't have to bed down the mount. Not sure. Cychobiker, have you found out anymore info?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a Near one piece on my 700 and aren't having any issues with ejection or feeding.

The bonus of a one piece is that the rings are in perfect alignment, assuming that it is a quality base. Near, Badger, Nightforce etc.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have been using a one piece base for a very long time an never ran into the issue that is brought up in your opening post Op. So I can't say much but I can say one piece bases are good to go. Plus they add some strength to the action of a Remmy 700.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a one piece on mine. When I installed it I thought the same thing would happen, but I've put maybe 300 reds through it... No problems, and I prefer the 'look' of the one piece...

When I 'top load' rounds in, sometimes I'll catch my thumb or finger on it, but that's minor... And probably operator error anyway....

I would use the one piece, more options down the road... Should you ever need to put your rings closer together, or further apart for what ever resin....

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Yes, two piece bases do offer more room to access the top of the action. They also bring on other problems. Harder to align properly and they almost always lead to the requirement that one lap the rings.

A one piece won't hamper ejection and if properly installed they can preclude the need to lap so the scope fits "stress free".

I have only one two-piece mount for my rifles and it's been sitting in my parts box for almost 10 years.

As WinXP Man said, the one piece bases also add rigidity to the action. This can increase accuracy greatly on some rifles but on all rifles it reduces the stresses transferred to the scope from misalignment or recoil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts