Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of this year's Montana hunt....came prepared for a long range kill....ended up taking down a nice bull at 300 yards with the 30.06....Had the Barrett staged on a ridge top overlooking a nice burn area....no takers!!!

Humping the Fifty into position the day before the season opened! That was some steep rugged country....lost 15 pounds in a week!

Food at camp hanging where the grizzlies couldnt get to it!

Our pet doe that hung out in camp with us

On our trusty steeds on the way in to camp

Here is the fifty overlooking the burn area

Rucked up with my Eberlestock pack and the Remmington 775 30.06 heading up the next ridge where I ended up dropping my bull. (another 1000 feet, from 9000ft up to 10,000 where we found our satelite bull)

Me posing with my bull...we initially spotted him 1200 yards out, my buddy bugled him in (we did the early season rifle hunt in the Absaroka Beartooth wilderness area, one of the few areas in Montana where you can hunt elk with a rifle during the rut) He stopped the last time broadside at 300 yards to tear up some pine trees with his antlers...that was his last move, got him high behind the shoulder....hit a rib and punctured both lungs.....it was a beautiful thing!

Beautiful country....slow hunting last year, that was the ONLY elk that we saw on our trip, it is just north of yellowstone park and the wolves are putting a hurtn on the elk numbers, this was by no means the baddest bull ever taken, but I was very happy, he is the best one I have had the privelige of taking and literally the only elk we saw on our trip, we were in there for a week and hunted hard. We did a drop camp with Absaroka Beartooth Outfitters...they gave us a ride in, ride out and game retrieval...the base price was $500 ea. and I tipped the guy who packed the elk out for us...all in all a very affordable way for a guy to get access to that type of area...you have to provide all your own gear, but I would highly reccommend it, even though the elk numbers are not great, it was worth it just to spend a week in that beautiful country! Bagging the elk was icing on the cake!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JFComfort said:
HOG! Good to see ya here! I had a blast out shooting this morning. That lake bed was pretty sloppy in some parts.
Thanks! Yeah that was fun, the incindeary round vs. the propane tank was impressive as always..lmao
Winxp_Man said:
Wow that seemed like a really good trip thanks for sharing.
shot to kill not wound ! .22 S&W model-422---WesternField M500 20GA---.223 Remington R-15---White Oak Armament 6.8 SPC AR-15
Reminton 700 SPS Tactical .308 with HS precision Stock
Thank you sir, yea it was a great trip....once in a lifetime experience!!! It was the first time I got to experience a Bull being bugled in like that, usually I hunt the general season and the rut is long over and I never have gotten into the bow hunting thing, so to see that bull running straight towards us and stopping periodically to tear up small pine trees was amazing...something I will never forget!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hognuts said:
JFComfort said:
HOG! Good to see ya here! I had a blast out shooting this morning. That lake bed was pretty sloppy in some parts.
Thanks! Yeah that was fun, the incindeary round vs. the propane tank was impressive as always..lmao
Oh man I forgot about that! That was bad ass! I wish I would of remembered the camera!! Gotta love the BIG .50 BMG!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hognuts said:
JFComfort said:
Winxp_Man said:
shot to kill not wound ! .22 S&W model-422---WesternField M500 20GA---.223 Remington R-15---White Oak Armament 6.8 SPC AR-15
Thank you sir, yea it was a great trip....once in a lifetime experience!!! It was the first time I got to experience a Bull being bugled in like that, usually I hunt the general season and the rut is long over and I never have gotten into the bow hunting thing, so to see that bull running straight towards us and stopping periodically to tear up small pine trees was amazing...something I will never forget!

I stayed in Eureka MT for 4 months almost hunting season. Sucks I had to leave right before the fun. Its definitely beautiful country out there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Winxp_Man said:
Hognuts said:
JFComfort said:

Winxp_Man said:

I stayed in Eureka MT for 4 months almost hunting season. Sucks I had to leave right before the fun. Its definitely beautiful country out there.

That sucks you didn't get to hang out long enough to hunt! But you are right it is definitely god's country up there....I am now in nevada, which don't get me wrong it has some nice areas....but there is no place like home!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
^^^ I know huh................... I will have to take a trip back up there. I did a super amount of fly fishing while there. I still had a blast. And get this the place where my friend lives is backed up towards Lake Kocanusa and a really big herd of elk travel through that region. We watched them all summer long.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Winxp_Man said:
^^^ I know huh................... I will have to take a trip back up there. I did a super amount of fly fishing while there. I still had a blast. And get this the place where my friend lives is backed up towards Lake Kocanusa and a really big herd of elk travel through that region. We watched them all summer long.
I cant wait for next fall already!!! I have already put in for deer/elk in Montana and Wyoming....still have Nevada and Utah left once the draws open up!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Congratulations on a great, challenging hunt, surrounded with beautiful country. My only hunt in similar country was in 1989 on a successful mountain lion hunt outside of Grand Junction, Colorado. You are truly making hunts only a few will ever enjoy. Go on as many as you can for a life time of memories. Put your pictures in a safe place. I have had almost my entire life in pictures stolen by petty thieves. Trust your memories to no one. Lock 'em up. Put your negatives-flash cards in a bank vault. An old Viet Nam friend contacted me last week and learning my loss of pics, sent me copies of his pictures. My reply to him was, thanks "for embellishing my memories with pictures." Keep on hunting.......but lock up those pictures. (I still have my lion over the fireplace ...:))

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RidgeRunner said:
Congratulations on a great, challenging hunt, surrounded with beautiful country. My only hunt in similar country was in 1989 on a successful mountain lion hunt outside of Grand Junction, Colorado. You are truly making hunts only a few will ever enjoy. Go on as many as you can for a life time of memories. Put your pictures in a safe place. I have had almost my entire life in pictures stolen by petty thieves. Trust your memories to no one. Lock 'em up. Put your negatives-flash cards in a bank vault. An old Viet Nam friend contacted me last week and learning my loss of pics, sent me copies of his pictures. My reply to him was, thanks "for embellishing my memories with pictures." Keep on hunting.......but lock up those pictures. (I still have my lion over the fireplace ...:))

Great advice! My grandma actually made me a video with music attached to it with different pics from that hunt, and believe me I DID NOT take it for granted, I have been hunting since I was 12 years old (now 35 with hopefully many more years of enjoying the outdoors to come)....there is definitely alot more hunting than harvesting! That being said, I still enjoy just being in the outdoors and especially in country like that it is definitely God's country up there! I hunted up there with a good friend and just spending time in a place like that and experiencing both the beauty of the country and also sharing the agony of the difficult hiking and climbing....those mountains are no joke! Actually harvesting that elk was just icing on the cake. I have made some files with my picture files attached, but would like to start an album too with actual photos in it, most of my stuff is all digital right now, but its always nice to have a hard copy of the pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts