Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing alot of research on possible purchase and install of a Timney 510 trigger on the SPS Tac rifle. Has anyone installed one on their 700 rifle and if so how was the install? Pretty straight forward? Any slight mods to the stock to fit? Hows your experience been with its performance? I'm finding them at a resonable cost so it is a major consideration to help improve accuracy even more out of my rifle. Thanks for the dope in advance!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jerrschmitt said:
I've done many of them on Mauser actions but never on a 700. I always felt that the 700 had a much better trigger than Timney. There is a new Timney Target / Tactical trigger that I would like to try.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=769137

ETA I just looked at the installation pamphlet for the Timney and it looks pretty easy to do.
The stock trigger it came with works well, but I was concidering one that has a lighter break then 3 pounds on the stock trigger.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Please don't do it, 308! You are going to buy a new trigger and rave about how fantastic it is, and then.... I'm going to have to go out and blow some more money!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RBoomK said:
Please don't do it, 308! You are going to buy a new trigger and rave about how fantastic it is, and then.... I'm going to have to go out and blow some more money!
Ha Ha aint that the name of the game?.......lol! The eternal quest for perfection! I'm still batting it around so I will let you know what happens......

·
Registered
89 Posts
I installed one on my SPS Varmint. It was easier to put in then the factory trigger because the sear is integral with the trigger assembly rather than separate so you don't have to mess with it.
It is a vast improvement over the factory trigger. A nice crisp pull right at 2.5 lbs as set from the factory according to my brother in laws trigger bull gage and absolutely no creep. The bolt release even works better.
I read about the possibility of some minor fit issues with some stocks because the Timney trigger is slightly bigger than the factory trigger but from what I read they were easy to remedy. I had no such problems with the H-S Precision stock on my rifle.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BobC said:
I installed one on my SPS Varmint. Easier to put in then the factory trigger because the sear is integral with the trigger assembly rather than separate so you don't have to mess with it.
It is a vast improvement over the factory trigger as well. The bolt release even works better.
I read about some minor issues with some stocks but from what I read they were easy to remedy. I had no such problems with the H-S Precision stock on my rifle.
Thanks Bob this is music to my ears! I was just chatting with some others that have the same on their 700 series rifles and they have nothing but positive to say. Ha Ha I just placed an order for one and I should be getting it by next Friday!......:lol:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys maybe some of you may know whats happening and can help a bit. I did indeed purchase a Timney 510 trigger for my rifle and tried to install it yesterday, but the bolt release lever seems to hang up a bit. After several attempts and doing this correctly with all the parts in all the right places I'm still having an issue with the bolt release lever hanging up on the installed Timney trigger. I reinstalled the stock trigger and it's back operational working great. I seem to recall a post that mentioned this same issue however I cant seem to locate it if it exists. Anybody have a clue as to what the issue may be causing this and how to remedy it? Thanks for the help fellas!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry mine went just the opposite. It would always stick with the factory trigger and worked great with the Timney. You could try a little dry lube that's what I use on mine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob.....you sir are a saint! This was exactly the thread I was looking for. I will give it another try armed with this info and report back.....Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not a problem at all. Hope that does the trick for you.
I like both Snipers Hide and Sniper Central. Both very helpful, interesting and informative sites.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BobC said:
Not a problem at all. Hope that does the trick for you.
I like both Snipers Hide and Sniper Central. Both very helpful, interesting and informative sites.
Your Information worked like a charm.....I backed out the allen bolt on the Timney assembly holding the bolt release linkage and lubed all parts involved and it works like it's supposed to. As a matter of fact the Timney rep called about an hour ago on the issue and said the fix I did with the advise I got was a good direction. He was going to suggest backing out the same screw a bit and CLP the works. Bob again thanks for your help!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would say 3 pounds for a stock trigger isn't that bad. On my SPS Tactical in .308 it feels like it's around 4-6 pounds. It has a nice clean brake, but I like the 2 stage trigger on my AR-15 much better. That one has a "match trigger" from the factor that's I've been happy with.

Judging by the picture at Midway USA it looks like it's a drop in unit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dropped a 510 in my SPS and the hammer will not throw unless my bolt is turned back a couple tenths of an inch (ie will not fire with bolt fully locked over). I can hear it release and I can move the bolt and it fires. Any ideas?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts