Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

Tinkering with the Mini-14

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Etkini 
I thought that group was at 100yds, I was going to freak. I have a Ranch model 581 and absolutely hate it. It was an impulse buy. I can't sell it because no one will give me more than $200 for it.. lol.

But besides complaining, it's an incredibly reliable machine. I haven't found a single thing it won't eat. My buddy had one as well and we put it through some torture testing.. covered in mud\ice\snow, that thing continued to feed anything we put into it.

I have always debated putting a scope on it..maybe I should and just see what I can do. I could never get the thing zero'ed..I hate the rear sight.

I have not, no. I never really bothered simply because my AR15 could outshoot it straight out of the box..lol.

I do reload, and have plenty 55gr and 62gr loaded up. I haven't shot anything but 55s through it, I will try the 62s next time. I was always going to get a barrel strut, but couldn't justify spending so much on a piece of metal.

While it's definitely accurate enough for coyote hunting, mine only came with a 5rd magazine. And with 10 rounders being $20-50, and preban 30s being anything from $30-100, it's hard for me to buy more. That is..unless you have a cheaper source for 10s or preban 30s.

I will most definitely try the trigger job and mount the scope to it. I still couldn't manage to zero the thing..the rear sight is too complicated for me..lol.

I am originally from Washington County, but now I live in the hellish Albany County. I wish I got my pistol permit\CCW when I worked for Washington County..getting it for Albany is not worth the trouble. Not to mention a 6 month wait? I should be in Kentucky or New Hampshire and out of this shithole by then! lol..

I do think it's horrible the laws NY has. I honestly never understood how it's okay to have a 30 round magazine that was made before 1994 as opposed to one after. Either way you slice it, it still holds 30 rounds and it is almost as easy to find as a new one. Same with the other inane laws.. but that's for another time and place.

What made you move to Texas? I'm guessing a career by your icon?

Anyway, now that I have a scope freed up I think I'll mount it this Sunday and do a little testing to see what I can actually do with it and some handloads...

I did. I run some high power handloads, and with the scope on the action was not cycling completely. It would maybe every 3-4 shots, but in between I had a straight-pull bolt action.

I haven't really put forth much effort to try to sell it, I'll probably keep it. I think in the future I might send it out to Accuracy Systems Intl to have a new barrel and some work done on it. For around $300 they're saying 1-1.75" groups at 100yds. The sad part is if I threw a $300 barrel on my AR I'd have .75-1" groups..lol.

Anyway, in case civilization really does end\zombies come next year, it'll be nice to have a backup 5.56mm/.223 incase the AR decides to not work.

And I wouldn't worry too much about snow. We had a massive storm in September\October but it's been 60 out. I'm sure in a week or two we'll be buried.. just can't wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.