Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am by no means a newbie to firearms! However, I am new to Bolt Action rifles, and particulary rifles that can be modified for improved target shooting characteristics. I have actually learned a fair amount from searching this great forum. I have a R700 SPS Tactical .223 rifle with an HS Precision stock, Redfield 3-9X40 scope, and Harris bipod. I don't have any plans on winning any future national marksmanship championships, but I do want to have a nice target shooting weapon.

My rifle came with the standard (non X-Mark) trigger assembly. I am looking for some feedback on the following:

• What triggers are available[/*]
  • Cost (range)[/*]
  • Advantages/Disadvantages[/*]
  • Personal Experiences[/*]

Is there any advantage to just keeping my current trigger assembly? How does my trigger compare to the newer Remington X-Mark adjustable trigger?

Thanks in advance for your input!!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
The older trigger is adjustable by a smith to make it a nice clean light crisp break.
My sps tac aac came with the 2nd generation xmark pro. It is a nice trigger and I was okay with it being a 2.5lb pull, that is untill I shot a buddies Jewell trigger.

I've shot several weapons in my lifetime but I have never shot something with such a fine trigger in my life. With it set at one pound it is amazingly smooth. You think it fires. I it mine for 260 installed but I've heared slot of people getting it a little cheaper. Alot of people like timney triggers as well and they are a little cheaper. There are also shilen triggers.

IMO a
Shilen trigger is like mustang
Timney is like a corvette
Jewell is like a viper, do you really need it? No
But once you got it you realize what you've missed lol

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
One of the main reasons I went with a Timney 510 trigger is because the shoe is wider compared to the Jewel trigger system. They are both great triggers and you shouldn't have a problem with either. The stock trigger are fine to if adjusted right but I bet you once you shoot with either system mentioned above you will get one in a heart beat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jasonbourne said:
IMO a
Being a diehard Chevy guy, the way I read the above is:

The Timney is BEST BY FAR and the only REAL choice!! :cool:
The Jewell is similar in performance to the Timney, but WAY OVER PRICED for what your getting! :D
And the Shilen "couldn't pull a greased string out of a cat's butt"!! :p (Just kiddin' ford fans!)

All kidding aside....Being that I just want a little smoother, reduced pull tension trigger, am I not better to just have my local gunsmith fine-tune my current set-up? Will I REALLY notice that much improvement buying a new trigger assembly with the type of shooting that I will be doing? Again, I will be primarily recreational target shooting 300 yds or less.

Thanks jasonbourne and Winxp_Man for your replies!!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
If you have a smith that is experienced in trigger jobs go for it. Lots of guys on the hide swear by their modified trigger. By the way real men don't wear bowties.
First
On
Racing
Day

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jasonbourne said:
If you have a smith that is experienced in trigger jobs go for it. Lots of guys on the hide swear by their modified trigger.
I may go that route first....THANKS!

jasonbourne said:
First
On
Racing
Day
I work in NASCAR for a Chevy Race team. I have received NASCAR Manufacturers Champion hats for the last 6 years straight. This last season was the 34th time that Chevy has been recognized for this award. Ford may see victory lane occassionally in NASCAR racing, but not near as many times as Chevy!

Just in case you don't believe me...

Actually, I also like Fords. I just happen to like Chevys a little better!! THANKS again for your help with the trigger questions!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
As a Chevy owner, have a Vette and a Tahoe, I have to agree, Chevy rules NASCAR and the streets! Mustang has been chasin' Vettes and Camaros for decades! BTW Pony's are for girls.

Back on topic, I plan on doing a Jewel trigger at some point, to me it seems worth the money.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Guys with me its Chevy till I die :D The Timney did the trick for me :) I cant justify getting a Jewel for what I do. I shot with the Shilen and the Jewel on some friends rifles. In the end I still think that the Timney is just fine for me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You will not be dissapointed with a Timney 510. I got one for my SPS Tac .308 and it exceeds expectations. In fact Winxp_Man got one after trying out mine. For the $ its a great investment to the overall accuracy of your rifle! Sorry fellas I'm a MOPAR guy!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have the old style R700 trigger set at 2.5lbs and its awesome. Shoots my 0.25-0.5MOA groups and works great. I know a few 'smiths who ONLY use old style R700 trigger on their custom rifles. TacOps comes to mind :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
308isgreat said:
You will not be dissapointed with a Timney 510. I got one for my SPS Tac .308 and it exceeds expectations. In fact Winxp_Man got one after trying out mine. For the $ its a great investment to the overall accuracy of your rifle! Sorry fellas I'm a MOPAR guy!
OK...you've got me thinking Timney again! But I still think I am going to have a sit-down with my local gunsmith about tuning up my current trigger. May give it a "shot" first!

Pre-1970 MOPARS maybe! REAL Hemis maybe.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
MacA said:
308isgreat said:
OK...you've got me thinking Timney again! But I still think I am going to have a sit-down with my local gunsmith about tuning up my current trigger. May give it a "shot" first!

Pre-1970 MOPARS maybe! REAL Hemis maybe.....
Does a 73 440 dart qualify??? LOL Built it in 1987-88..... 10.80's street tires thru muffs.......Not bad for a projec t out of high school.....

MOPAR baby!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
superbee said:
Does a 73 440 dart qualify???
If it is a 4 speed manual then MAYBE!!

Sounds like a nice ride!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have been happy with my Jewell trigger. I have ran one on my match gun for over a year and it's performed flawlessly. Its held up to over 1,900 rounds and countless hours of dry fire practice.

I don't have much experience with Timney but I'm sure it's a fine trigger. I've had the same older gen. Rem trigger worked by my smith. It was very nice and worked well, one draw back is that it wasn't adjustable. Now a days I prefer drop in triggers and keeping factory stuff OEM.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Whos the gunsmith in Vegas JFComfort? I know of one on Boulder Hwy, never used him though. I wanted some work done on my Springfield M1A1 too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put a Rifle Basix trigger in mine and love it... they goofed and sent me a 8-24oz trigger instead of the 1.5-3lb trigger...

very easy install.. had it in my R700 SPS tac. then pulled it out and put it in my 700 Tac AAC wehn i sold the SPS, and put the xmark in the SPS... great trigger adn only like $120

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jewell is like a viper, do you really need it?
- Your opinions about JARD Remington 700 Trigger?

jasonbourne said:
The older trigger is adjustable by a smith to make it a nice clean light crisp break.
My sps tac aac came with the 2nd generation xmark pro. It is a nice trigger and I was okay with it being a 2.5lb pull, that is untill I shot a buddies Jewell trigger.

I've shot several weapons in my lifetime but I have never shot something with such a fine trigger in my life. With it set at one pound it is amazingly smooth. You think it fires. I it mine for 260 installed but I've heared slot of people getting it a little cheaper. Alot of people like timney triggers as well and they are a little cheaper. There are also shilen triggers.

IMO a
But once you got it you realize what you've missed lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts