Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever seen this problem on a Remington model 700 BDL ?

I have a Remington model 700 DBL left-handed bolt action 270 caliber rifle. The trigger shoe "lever" is NOT centered "horizontally" in the trigger guard. The left edge of the trigger level falls exactly in line with the left edge of the trigger guard and thus the right edge of the trigger lever sits about 1/4" inside (to the right edge) of the right side of the trigger guard, i.e. not centered in the trigger guard. Every other rifle (several) that I own, do not have this problem, i.e. the trigger lever is centered on the width/horizontally of the trigger guard.

The trigger guard seems to be sitting correctly "centered" and 90 degrees to the stock and the trigger guard itself seems to be perfectly symmetrical, i.e. correctly shaped.

Main body of the trigger itself seems to be installed correctly "pinned" and sitting 90 degrees to the receiver.

This trigger has been like this (not centered) ever since I purchased the rifle NEW.

Is it possible that somehow the trigger lever is bent at about the point where it comes out of the main body of the trigger ?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
Since you bought the rifle new you have one of three possible triggers. I would rule out a 40x so its either a Walker Trigger or an X-Mark Pro (2006 or later). Remington had iisues with both types of triggers. Both have had recalls.The front of the Walker shoe is serrated while the XMP is smooth. It sounds as if your trigger shoe piece is bent. To be sure you will need to remove the action from the stock and check if the shoe is parallel with the trigger housing.

If the shoe is bent, I would not use the rifle. It is likely that the trigger is not engaging the sear properly. Many people replace the stock triggers with Timney or other aftermarket triggers. In any case, I would recommend you look at the Remington Walker write-up by J Belk in this forum.

One last thought, I believe I read where an XMP trigger failed when the shoe broke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since you bought the rifle new you have one of three possible triggers. I would rule out a 40x so its either a Walker Trigger or an X-Mark Pro (2006 or later). Remington had iisues with both types of triggers. Both have had recalls.The front of the Walker shoe is serrated while the XMP is smooth. It sounds as if your trigger shoe piece is bent. To be sure you will need to remove the action from the stock and check if the shoe is parallel with the trigger housing.

If the shoe is bent, I would not use the rifle. It is likely that the trigger is not engaging the sear properly. Many people replace the stock triggers with Timney or other aftermarket triggers. In any case, I would recommend you look at the Remington Walker write-up by J Belk in this forum.

One last thought, I believe I read where an XMP trigger failed when the shoe broke.
Thanks for your reply.
I believe that my trigger is the walker because this rifle is much older than 2006.

Problem is that I have already removed the action from the stock and in just looking at the trigger shoe it "appears" to come straight down (90 degree) from the trigger housing. This makes me fear that this is instead a problem with the STOCK. I have been thinking about buying a Timney replacement trigger but from what I am seeing, I am sort of afraid that I might be wasting my money and wondering if what I may really need is a different stock or possibly a new complete trigger guard/floor plate assembly. Am wondering if the cut of the channel that the trigger guard sits in is just slightly out of TRUE, i.e. slanted and that is what is causing the trigger shoe to appear slanted, it probably would not take much of a slant in the channel to cause the trigger shoe to tilt to one side or the other. Is my thinking valid ? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
Your thinking may be correct. I take it this is a wood stock. You may actually need to bed the bottom metal to square it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In looking at it closer, I have come to the conclusion that the cutout into which the "receiver lug" sits into the stock must be slightly out of specs., i.e. too big, allowing slight rotation of the receiver and barrel assembly in the stock.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts