Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been searching the internet and all my gun magazines and have only been able to find a few companys that make an AR15 chambered in .308 but the ones im finding are more for like sniping and varmit hunting im looking for a small barreled tatical version around the same size as the standard issue M4. Arma Lite inc makes one close to what im wanting and has a 16 inch barrel if i could find one with maybe a slighly shorter barrel that is what im wanting for around $1,500. Also if i get one will some of the after market stuff for the 5.56 AR15 work on it? like the grips and diffrent stocks if i wanted to customize it? Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated for this will be my next toy after i mod out my remington 870 that im looking for also. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well all the .308's are usually bulky. If you want more knock down power in small platform for CQB stuff take a look at the 6.8 SPC II. I own one and love it. Its a Sub MOA rifle.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well like i said i found one from arma lite with a 16 in barrel that was kinda in my price range. but my reasoning i wanted to go with the .308 is the fact my 700 shoots .308 so i wouldnt have to buy multiple calibers of rounds. On top of that ive been hearing alot about this 6.8 spc round and dont know anything about it. but yea im wanting it for like CQB. Not really wanting to build my own either i mean if i have to so its exactly or close to what i want ill consider it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Oh and the .308 AR's systems are AR-10's :D not AR-15's. Also the AR-10 and parts are all priced up there. Not anything like the AR-15 stuff.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i knew they were called the AR10 more people know what an AR15 is as apposed to the AR10. If anything might have to do some research with red jacket god know what they will charge me though. Really hoping i can find one thats in my budget.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think you are going to have a hard time finding a rifle with less that a 16" barrel. You have to have a "permit"/form 1 or 4 (depending on if you are making one or buying one), from the ATF, to have less than that on a rifle or <18" barrel on a shotgun. However, if a can or break is permanently attached causing the barrel+can/break to be over 16" it is legal again w/o a "permit". DPMS and Rock River Arms also have .308s on tactical style AR platforms w/ 16" barrels. Most are flat tops, but can also be had with carrying handles and front A frames. Most upgrade/customization items for AR will fit with the 308; pistol grips, adj. stock pieces, etc.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes thank you verry much for the help i greatly appreciate it. i hope one day i can help you guys as much as you have helped me. I have never heard of DPMS but am researching them right now as we speak and just might go with them they are well in my budget witch will leave me more room to add goodies to it when i get it witch i hope will be for my birtday witch is in june. crossing my fingers the wife approves. Any more info anyone has on this subject will be great my eyes and ears are open.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you do decide to go with the DPMS, watch out for their "Sportical", that particular series is their entry level rifles, they don't have some of the things that you would want. i.e. dust cover, forward assist or a brass deflector, and the stock is made of cheaper material. I have an "Oracle" and it has all the usuals, and shoots very well. I have it in .223, but it also comes in .308 for just under $1K. Mine will hold 1.5" or so (never really tried for a 5 shot group, but it will cut a ragged hole about 2.25" with 10 rounds) at 100yds with a junk ($60) 4x from Academy Sports with the cheapest ammo I can find.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After some consideration I MAY be placing my order on my very own DPMS AR-10 .308 on monday or tuesday. So thanks for the help. I have just one question I want the full picatinne rail system on the fore grip will the one off a 5.56 AR work? I seen a company advertising one just for the .308 si I'm assuming it won't but was just curious. Once again thanks for the help guys its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
While the LR308 can use Magpul PMAGs, you might be better off with a Rock River Arms LAR-8. They use FN/FAL magazines, so finding them would be cheaper\easier than a proprietary magazine. Plus they have everything from 16" barrels up to 24".

To answer your other question, AR10s and AR15s use different barrel nuts and mounting systems. There also is no standard thread like on an AR15; another thing to keep in mind. Not too many different manufacturers produce handguards\MIL-STD-1913 rails for the AR10 and variants. Daniel Defense, Superior Weapon Systems, JP Enterprises, Samson and Midwest Industries are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

(Edited for syntax)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
will the DPMS Oracle use the magpul mags? i really like them and want to use them rather than the metal ones from the FAL?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome now to get the cash and buy my newest toy!!!!! any more info i should know please feel free to tell me! any certain sites to get good stuff and ones i should stay away from?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Primaryarms.com is one of the best AR15 sites I've ever been to. Marshall is the absolute best in his prices and customer service. I'm not sure if he has AR10 products, but he'll order them for you and generally beats anyone's prices. He is a Magpul supplier as well. Just look him up on ARFCOM if you have any doubts. I myself have a Primary Arms Comp M3 on my non-duty AR15. It's certainly not an AIMpoint, but it's not marketed as such.

As for anything else, the companies I listed above are other great names to buy. Daniel Defense might be pricey but their product is top notch.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. The vision i have for my AR-10 is a complete CQB tatical one. Why you ask? I say go big or go home. Plus i hate having to buy multiple calibers of ammo i have my 700 in 308 this way here i know i have ammo for it and in the dark i can reach for rifle ammo and know its gonna be .308. plus not to many people i know if any at all have a tatical AR-10 for CQB and i like to be diffrent. so i have many reasons for going this way and am sure i could sit here and think of a few more. Once again thank you for the info. If you or anybody else has any more helpful info on the subject im all ears and will research anything you advise. Now if anyone knows an easy way to kox a wife into letting this dream come true that would be awesome!

·
Registered
277 Posts
While I can't nock DPMS - they're made in my home state of Minnesota - you forgot, or overlooked the coolest .308 CQB rifle on the market.

Behold the KelTec RFB

·
Registered
277 Posts
O.E.F_M.P said:
................. Now if anyone knows an easy way to kox a wife into letting this dream come true that would be awesome!
Get her involved!!!!! That's the ticket to coaxing her. If she can't handle big toys, get her some smaller munitions, but just get her shooting. There are a million cool configurations of .22lr long and short guns. Model 700 in .243 is a superlight recoil and will allow her to compete with you, or out shoot your .308. Maybe she's that good, you never know. Success is contageous, once she gets a taste of it she'll want more.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For starters that Kel Tec is "SICK" what a marvelous piece of weaponry. Second thanks for the advice with the wife although she's not the shooting type ill keep that advice in my mind maybe drag her and the guns out maybe the smell of some powder might get her to catch a little of the gun bug. I appreciate the advice and I'm glad I've discovered the community of 700 shooter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If your looking for something with more knock down power like the .308 look into the .300 Blackout. Its basicly a 7.62x35. Doesnt take much to change a 5.56 rifle over to .300 blackout ither simple parts swaping to rechamber for it, other than that it uses the same platform as the 5.56 AR. Its actualy a very impressive round, ive heard the military was looking into it to replace the 5.56, better power similar balistics and an easy swap over, they wouldnt need to buy all new weapons just the changeover parts too, but its just a rumor for now. If you do reloading it wouldnt be much of a change from reloading your .308 ither, just different casing and powder load.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advice. Since I posted this I've discovered the FN SCAR 17s witch is in my price range and will be the only one around with one. If you didn't read the whole post reasoning I want a .308 is the fact I hate buying multiple calibers of ammo. Plus they are really cool.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts