Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Good length for the magazine, cycled them through, they feed very well, but I noticed that I started loading at 36 grains of powder (the starting load was 38) sometimes, it sucks being dyslexic. Oh well, I can say that I was trying subsonic loads... :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Robo said:
sometimes, it sucks being dyslexic.
Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Those are some long, sleek bullets! Could be, that the length has reduced powder capacity enough that they might not be as mild as you think! Maybe...

·
Registered
121 Posts
BK said:
Robo said:

Those are some long, sleek bullets! Could be, that the length has reduced powder capacity enough that they might not be as mild as you think! Maybe...

Member #6!
Wouldn't seating them shallow in the case increase potential charge capacity...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I cant remember what COAL I loaded the Berger bullets that I loaded but I was able to run them at 44.5 of Varget and IMR 4064.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cobretr said:
Would seating them shallow in the case increase potential charge capacity...
That's one idea I had, and I've also heard that they don't like to jump much. So I figured that I'd start at maximum magazine length, and work from there.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Mine from what just clicked in my head was loaded a little bigger than what my mag can fit in my SPS Tac.

·
Registered
121 Posts
With my AI setup I can set them waaaaayyyyyy out and not have any mag problems. Mine shoot awesome @ 2.805 though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
cobretr said:
BK said:
Robo said:

Member #6!
Wouldn't seating them shallow in the case increase potential charge capacity...
Maybe we are having a bit of a problem with terms. A given cartridge, bullet seated to a shorter COAL, will have less powder capacity than the same cartridge seated to a longer COAL. Less Capacity + same powder charge = higher pressure. That's why British DGR cartridges are so big, to reduce the pressure from cordite charges in tropical heat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's another reason why I seated them longer than the recipe called for. I was trying to eliminate pressure issues, as well as getting the best bullet performance. .0115 longer gave me just a little bit of room for the powder charge.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
what kind of brass do you use cobretr ? and primer ?

shot to kill not wound ! .22 S&W model-422---WesternField M500 20GA---.223 Remington R-15---White Oak Armament 6.8 SPC AR-15
Reminton 700 SPS Tactical .308 with HS precision Stock
I've been using remington brass with fed 210m primers. My dad just gave me some lake city m118lr brass so I will be trying that as soon as I get my gun back from the smithy.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
cobretr said:
Winxp_Man said:
what kind of brass do you use cobretr ? and primer ?

shot to kill not wound ! .22 S&W model-422---WesternField M500 20GA---.223 Remington R-15---White Oak Armament 6.8 SPC AR-15
Reminton 700 SPS Tactical .308 with HS precision Stock
I've been using remington brass with fed 210m primers. My dad just gave me some lake city m118lr brass so I will be trying that as soon as I get my gun back from the smithy.

Oh ok LC brass should be as thick as the Lapua brass. I will try my Lapua brass reloads and 168 smk bullets this weekend with 308isgreat and will post results :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts